bypassing EC.com

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey

bypassing EC.com

Post by Guest »

I mean bypassing EnvironmentalChemistry.com adblocking dectectors

How can we as firefox users who happen to use adblock bypass this junk, NOT to "steal their bathwidth" but just to prove that we can bypass it, I mean without being noticed that the ads are missing on the site, so nasty webmasters like the guy at EnvironmentalChemistry.com.. wont notice.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Add this filter:
http://environmentalchemistry.com/css/screen.css

... comes out goofydown below, but it works. It's actuallyeasier to read this way.

EDIT: Never mind ... it worked yet it didn't. It's got to be something easy ... just buried.

Post by 0000001 »

A very trivial workaround is disabling stylesheets >view>pagestyle>no style> then going to the page you wish but press the "esc" key while the page loads so it doesn't redirect..

good luck.

maybe userstyle,greasemonkey or something similiar could help?
Peng

Post by Peng »

The EnvironmentalChemistry.com guy is not nasty. He's been nice in these threads about his ad-blocking-blocking, as has everybody else, I think.

You probably shouldn't try this publicly. He'll just figure out how to counteract you again. That's why this is fun. Arms race or whatever. :)

Post by 0000001 »

This css trick been around for months. even he knows about it.
EnvironmentalChemistry

Post by EnvironmentalChemistry »

Well since this topic came up again, I thought I'd give a little update, which will make folks here very happy. I'll get what will make you happy in a moment.

First yes this is the owner of http://EnvironmentalChemistry.com again. I can't remember if I ever did register here or not, but if I did I can't find my account information. :cry: So anyway if people want me to confirm this is really me I can add some string you guys pick out to my HTML source.

As some may recall me saying, when I started blocking users who blocked my ads back at the beginning of 2004 the reasons were economic and a almost a matter of survival. My site had become so popular I was routinely exceeding my bandwidth allocations and was having to constantly pay extra fees to my hosting provider for exceeding my quota. On top of this ad revenues were barely keeping pace with expenses. I started blocking those who blocked my ads quite simply to reduce costs by eliminating the that traffic that wasn't helping generate revenue anyways.

In the two and half years since I implemented my countermeasures, lots of changed in web publishing and banner advertising:

1) Bandwidth has become much cheaper and I am now swimming in bandwidth so I could grow my traffic five fold before running into the problems I used to face. Heck I could probably with stand being Slashdotted or Dugg.

2) Google AdSense has become a very reliable source of ad revenues and I've started picking up some really good long term site sponsors. These two factors have tremendously increased revenues which has allowed me to do things I could never do in the past. I am now able to focus all of my energies on my sites and pay really qualified writers to write really good articles for EnvironmentalChemistry.com on a regular basis. Thus my users see a direct benefit from the ads I display.

3) What I call mainstream software companies like Symantec and ZoneLabs have stopped deploying their software with their ad blocking features turned on by default and now make users enable these features on their own if they don't want ads. This was a really important change as I found many people were blocking ads and didn't even know it.

4) Adblock Plus came into being and addressed the need for users to be able to effectively white list sites that try to play nice. I've always liked the white list feature of Adblock Plus and I think Adblock Plus should completely replace regular old Adblock.

Now for the news you'll like to hear.

I've always looked at my ad-blocking countermeasures as an annoyance created out of necessity. While our little arms race had an entertaining aspect to it, I've never been in love with the inconvenience it caused for users who didn't block my ads.

Several months ago I added one line of PHP code to my site that allows me to turn on and off my ad-blocking countermeasures at will and then I turned them off on selected pages. Two weeks ago or so I decided as an experiment to disable my ad-blocking countermeasures altogether and I am no longer blocking any users just because they are blocking my ads.

I'm much happier with the way my site loads when the ad-blocking countermeasures are turned off. As such, my feeling is that as long as this new climate of cheap bandwidth and strong ad-revenues continues, I will leave my ad-blocking countermeasures turned off.

See I said you would like it. :)

I would like to encourage users who don't like ads to maybe consider allowing select types of less obnoxious ads to be displayed as the sites they enjoy really do need to generate revenue to provide their services. I'd also encourage ad-blocking users to pay for ad-free subscriptions to the sites they use on a frequent basis if such subscriptions are offered. Maybe even consider white listing your favorite sites altogether.

Maybe, just maybe I'll never find the need to reactivate my countermeasures and this will be the last thread we all see on the subject of me blocking users who block my ads. Wouldn't that be nice? ;)

Cheers and to my fellow American's have a happy and safe Fourth of July.

Ken Barbalace
EnvironmentalChemistry.com
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

You have always been respectful with your post, AFAIK and educational. Thanks for letting us know that you have changed this on your site. We've been on different sides of this issue, but I've had respect for you because of the way you respond to others that are sometimes less respectful (understatement). You have a lot of talent as a writer and debater. Best of luck to you and I hope all goes well with your site.
Peng

Post by Peng »

EnvironmentalChemistry wrote:First yes this is the owner of http://EnvironmentalChemistry.com again. I can't remember if I ever did register here or not, but if I did I can't find my account information. :cry: So anyway if people want me to confirm this is really me I can add some string you guys pick out to my HTML source.
Even if you had registered here, and I'm pretty sure you hadn't, with the move to adblockplus.org a few weeks/a month/not long ago, all accounts had to be recreated.
Matt Nordhoff
TrafficNoise

Post by TrafficNoise »

Cool.. btw your site is pretty good.. after finely being able to view it Image