AutoUpdate

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
Post Reply
PaulWalker

AutoUpdate

Post by PaulWalker »

please provide an option for disabling automatic updates /or/ stop that stupid page from popping up everytime it does. thanks
jasoncollege24
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:41 pm

Re: AutoUpdate

Post by jasoncollege24 »

I disagree with this request. Automatic updates are important as they can fix patches. If you're not set to receive them automatically, then you may be leaving yourself open to exploits, glitches, or other issues that these updates fix. The page that appears also gives the user important information about the new updates.
CK

Re: AutoUpdate

Post by CK »

Are we talking about the "First Run" page that popped up after the update today?

If so, it most certainly does not provide any useful information about anything. It just mysteriously shows up as a new tab in Chrome and causes people to suspect that something has infected their computer. Unexpected pages and popups are the first sign that something is wrong, the people at Adblock should know this.

Also, it seems that there are settings on the First Run page that are not available on the options page when you actually go to the extensions page to manage Adblock. This looks very suspicious. How do I change these settings in the future? Are they really Adblock settings or is this First Run page actually something else that is luring me into providing access to to unknown parties?

This is really disconnected and alarming Adblock.
Guest

Re: AutoUpdate

Post by Guest »

jasoncollege24 wrote:I disagree with this request. Automatic updates are important as they can fix patches. If you're not set to receive them automatically, then you may be leaving yourself open to exploits, glitches, or other issues that these updates fix. The page that appears also gives the user important information about the new updates.
well that's a stupid opinion, what do you think there is to exploit in the adblock software. It's not an anti-virus, and everyone should be able to choose on their own whether they want it automatically or manually

and CK. this is what i'm referring too. (http://imgur.com/a/EyJVU)

every 2nd day it hounds me, most of the time when i have a stream open
fadblockgus
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:10 am

Re: AutoUpdate

Post by fadblockgus »

If there was an option to disable auto-updates, how would they be able to re-enabled 'non-intrusive' advertising every day?

Is there a fork of adblock for Chrome that doesn't have this stupid 'non-intrusive' advertising forced down your throat? I know there is one for FireFox and it is far superior because it doesn't serve ABP's google masters.
CK

Re: AutoUpdate

Post by CK »

Guest wrote:and CK. this is what i'm referring too. (http://imgur.com/a/EyJVU)

every 2nd day it hounds me, most of the time when i have a stream open
That's the one. Today is the first time I've ever seen it... I've been using ABP ever since it came out.

It just showed up as a tab that I didn't open. At first, I assumed it was one of those "Hey there, I'm a safe application that you can trust, you should click on me" kinds of things, you know, the ones that you should NEVER click on? Especially when you consider that the options for ABP don't have any setting like the ones shown on this "first run" page.
Anomymous

Re: AutoUpdate

Post by Anomymous »

fadblockgus wrote:If there was an option to disable auto-updates, how would they be able to re-enabled 'non-intrusive' advertising every day?

Is there a fork of adblock for Chrome that doesn't have this stupid 'non-intrusive' advertising forced down your throat? I know there is one for FireFox and it is far superior because it doesn't serve ABP's google masters.
I rolled my own ABP that removes "acceptable ads" and the sneaky "x-adblock-key" header check that could whitelist sites that have paid with no option to disable it. It also redirects blocked images and iframes to blank ones instead of breaking them (no page jitter). And it doesn't auto-update, obviously.

https://mega.co.nz/#!EkMmAAyS!FXXel0Yo0 ... pf52ZwP9BI
fadblockgus
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:10 am

Re: AutoUpdate

Post by fadblockgus »

Anomymous wrote: I rolled my own ABP that removes "acceptable ads" and the sneaky "x-adblock-key" header check that could whitelist sites that have paid with no option to disable it. It also redirects blocked images and iframes to blank ones instead of breaking them (no page jitter). And it doesn't auto-update, obviously.

https://mega.co.nz/#!EkMmAAyS!FXXel0Yo0 ... pf52ZwP9BI
Thanks, I'll give it a shot right now.
Guest

Re: AutoUpdate

Post by Guest »

fadblockgus wrote:
Anomymous wrote: I rolled my own ABP that removes "acceptable ads" and the sneaky "x-adblock-key" header check that could whitelist sites that have paid with no option to disable it. It also redirects blocked images and iframes to blank ones instead of breaking them (no page jitter). And it doesn't auto-update, obviously.

https://mega.co.nz/#!EkMmAAyS!FXXel0Yo0 ... pf52ZwP9BI
Thanks, I'll give it a shot right now.

please let us know how it goes.
fadblockgus
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:10 am

Re: AutoUpdate

Post by fadblockgus »

It works better than the real thing!
Post Reply