[Invalid] ABP 2.1b + url-addon-bar = no ABP button

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the corresponding product forum.
df

[Invalid] ABP 2.1b + url-addon-bar = no ABP button

Post by df »

If "url-addon-bar" add-on is enabled, no ABP-button appears. It happens since ABP is restartless

Is it a ABP or url-addon-bar bug?
Wladimir Palant

Re: ABP 2.1b + url-addon-bar = no ABP button

Post by Wladimir Palant »

I don't see this issue - everything seems to work fine even if url-addon-bar is installed. What happens if you go into Adblock Plus options and check "Show in add-on bar"?
df

Post by df »

After installing it works, but after restarting Firefox not. After restart i can't activate "Show in add-on bar".
Wladimir Palant

Nope, I explicitly tested restart as well - still works for me after a restart (Firefox 13 and Firefox 16.0a1).
Rayge

Post by Rayge »

My Adblock Plus Button also disappeared since int's restartless. I always had it next to the URL Bar. The Button also does not appear under "customize" anymore so I can't put it back.
Wladimir Palant

@Rayge: Open Add-ons Manager, select Adblock Plus, click Options button and then check "Show in add-on bar" - does that work? If not: please create a new topic, mixing up unrelated issues in one topic makes things harder for me to investigate and fix.
Rayge

Post by Rayge »

Yes, I can get it to show up in Addon Bar, but not at the top next to the URL Bar, since it does not appear under "customize" anymore. I use the latest Aurora. and the latest Adblock Plus Developer Version.
Wladimir Palant

Rayge, just drag it to the other toolbar while the Customize window is open...
Rayge

Post by Rayge »

Thank you, that worked =)
df

Post by df »

i figured it out, it's a combination of url-addon-bar and Toolbar Appmenu Button. If both add-on are enabled, the button doesn't appears.
Wladimir Palant

That makes more sense. I'm not sure how but Toolbar Appmenu Button (particularly its "Shring Titlebar" feature) breaks the relationship between the toolbar and its toolbox - toolbar.toolbox property is simply null. Consequently, Adblock Plus ignores it as an invalid toolbar (adding buttons to it isn't possible). I would recommend notifying Toolbar Appmenu Button author about this issue. Also, I would recommend staying away from the "Shring Titlebar" feature - it uses mutation events meaning that it slows down the browser considerably.

Marking as Invalid since that's clearly not our bug.
df

Re: [Invalid] ABP 2.1b + url-addon-bar = no ABP button

Post by df »

Without this feature ABP button appears.
Wladimir Palant

Turned out that I was wrong and the bug is actually in url-addon-bar. I notified the author that he shouldn't be removing the toolboxid attribute from the add-on bar, this is actually what's causing the issues.

Post by guest »

test

Post by guest »

Sorry for the test message above.

I just wanted to add my very similar experience w/ FireFox 19. I lost the icon completely, not even available anywhere even when in Customize mode. The option to check "show in addonbar" could not be selected. My solution was to Disable every addon except AdBlock Plus, restart Firefox, then finally I could check the "show in addonbar", and it would appear where
it always has been.

Unbelievably while typing this comment - the AdBlock Plus icon just disappeared - even after it had been working for over
an hour. I guess I will do the above steps again to get it back. It seems something is "overwriting" its ID if i had to guess.

<sigh>