[Rejected] “Last hit” suggestion

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
ariel

[Rejected] “Last hit” suggestion

Post by ariel »

Hi Wladimir

The new “Last hit” column is great and very useful and I would like to suggest an improvement to that column that will make it match more usable.

Instead of displaying the full date to the last filter hit why not use only three types of information. 'Never', 'Today', '### days ago'. IMO this format will be match more readable and it will provide an overall look of the filters last hit status match quicker.

It wouldn’t be a bad idea to also allow the user to switch between those two formats.
aRIEL
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

I like that ariel but instead of today, use the time it hit today. Maybe? That way if you change something you know it still hits or whatever. Just a thought. Then if it has the time you know it was today.
ariel

Post by ariel »

I would think that if you change a filter, its “Last Hit” would be reset to ‘Never’ just like “Hits” is been reset to zero.

In general I think you have a point in regards to providing more detailed information about the current day. But as far as checking for the effects of some filter update, I think the sidebar will do a match better work.
aRIEL
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Yes, I probably should work on a better time output. However, it is already too late for 0.7.1 - most translation are already finished. Not to mention that making the message gramatically correct could be problematic with some of the languages (it isn't everywhere as simple as day/days).

Edit: Filed bug 14520
Fox

Post by Fox »

I like this current format, because it's very accurate.
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

ariel wrote:I would think that if you change a filter, its “Last Hit” would be reset to ‘Never’ just like “Hits” is been reset to zero.

In general I think you have a point in regards to providing more detailed information about the current day. But as far as checking for the effects of some filter update, I think the sidebar will do a match better work.
Good point! I agree
Wladimir Palant

Re: [Rejected] “Last hit” suggestion

Post by Wladimir Palant »

The bug corresponding to this topic has been resolved as WONTFIX - it seems that implementing this change would make the column more difficult to read.