ActiveX plugin warning

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
salai

ActiveX plugin warning

Post by salai »

I am testing embedded streaming video with ActiveX plugin (http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/mozactivex-ff-15.xpi).

There is warning in Full Step-By-Step Guide: Embedded Windows Media in Firefox:
"WARNING!! Before you install the ActiveX plugin, if you use the Adblock Extension, you must make sure that the setting for OBJ-TABS is disabled. Otherwise, your system will run almost any ActiveX control. " .

Is this the case with rewritten Adblock Plus 0.6.* also?
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

I have no idea how object tabs could possibly interfere with the security settings for ActiveX. It probably had something to do with Adblock attaching data to the object - Adblock Plus 0.6 doesn't do it, it actually doesn't touch the object at all. So I would assume that this problem isn't there any more, but it is on the mozactivex developers to check it out.
Wladimir Palant

I found out that the warning is still very valid. I'm not sure whether the security problems still exist but Mozilla ActiveX plugin in conjunction with object tabs ("tabs on Flash and Java" in Options) causes crashes - see bug 13368.
Wladimir Palant

Thanks a lot, that's at least something! I suspected something along the same lines but I couldn't reproduce the problem when I installed the ActiveX plugin - neither Flash OCX loading, nor crashing. I'll try it again.
Wladimir Palant

Can anybody test whether this has been fixed? That means that you have Mozilla ActiveX Plugin installed and:

a) You experience crashes on sites with lots of Flash when "Show tabs on Flash and Java" is activated
b) You notice ActiveX Plugin taking over objects that where it shouldn't (by default it is only supposed to play Windows Media) - again, only when "Show tabs on Flash and Java" is activated

Please install the new development build from http://p2.forumforfree.com/-vp6877-adbl ... .html#6877 and check whether it really fixes the problem. Unfortunately I couldn't reproduce it so the fix is based solely on my guesses.