Comments blocked on site, would like to learn more

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
SteveHIN

Comments blocked on site, would like to learn more

Post by SteveHIN »

I have both ulock and Adblock Plus installed in Firefox, version 44.0 and I am on a website and the comments section is being blocked by a filter list. At the moment, I have Adblock Plus disabled and uBlock enabled, while I test uBlock. On money.cnn.com, the comments section is being blocked by a filter list blocking rule. I would appreciate it if someone could suggest an exception rule that works in Adblock Plus, as uBlock users are referred to a page here on the Adblock Plus site for the syntax for rules and they are supposed to be compatible.

Also, I would appreciate it if they could explain how they determined what elements on page needed to be excepted in order for the comments section to be allowed to work. Whether I finally decide to use uBlock or Adblock Plus or both (or is it not a good idea to run both extensions at the same time?), I would like to use this as a learning experience to learn more about how one determines which elements need to be blocked or given exception for something to be blocked or allowed on a page.

In this post, forum/viewtopic.php?p=122497#p122497 mapx said "-no, no guide ... only examine the web requests (use firefox with the list of blockable items, for chrome will be available similar feature in the next months I hope), source code ...
-try to understand similar cases from the questions and answers other users post on forum." when answering a post where someone asked about a manual for doing this. So, I would like to know how you use the list of blockable items (in Adblock Plus) to determine which elements to block or except.I appreciate any help someone can give on this subject
mapx

Re: Comments blocked on site, would like to learn more

Post by mapx »

as I said: use ABP and blockable items list where you can add exceptions or create blocking rules.
Sure, disable ublock and use only ABP to do this otherwise you'll have conflicts.

Which is the page in trouble ?

this page is loading correctly the comments (easylist enabled)
http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/30/news/co ... stack-intl

Do all your tests in ABP otherwise I can't help you, enabling /disabling other lists
SteveHIN

Post by SteveHIN »

Thanks mapx. Actually comments works fine for me too on that page. It is this page (http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/29/media/r ... ald-trump/) where it isn't working for some reason. Can you tell any difference between then that might be causing it to not work on the story about the Trump debates? When you disable uBlock on that page, then comments show up just fine. Maybe something broken on the server side on the debate article page? As I said, on the Elon Musk page you referred to in your answer, comments are working just fine for me there.
mapx

Post by mapx »

it's working fine in ABP + easylist.
mapx

Post by mapx »

ok, you are using fanboy's anoyances probably

add this filter

Code: Select all

@@/downloads.mailchimp.com/js/mc-validate.js$domain=money.cnn.com
mapx

Post by mapx »

just use the filter I provided above.
for other adblockers please go in their sites / forums.
SteveHIN

Post by SteveHIN »

That worked like a charm mapx. Thank you. Do you mind giving me some insight into how you determined it was list related, that particular list, and that particular blocking rule that was causing the problem? I would have never thought mailchimp, since livefyre is the commenting platform they use there. I appreciate you helping me with this even though it was happening in uBlock and this isn't their forum. I would go to their support forum, but I don't believe they have support forums or anything like that, at least I couldn't find one with a google search.

I actually prefer ABP, it seems more user friendly, but I was having a problem with it, and none of the filter solutions I found worked for YouTube annotations. I use that site a lot and the annotations were driving me crazy. So I tried some filters I found here in the forum that were supposed to help block the YouTube annotations, but they didn't work. So, I had discovered uBlock in a search and decided to try it out. The blocking rule that I could not get to work in ABP to block YouTube annotations worked fine in uBlock, and since I use YouTube so much I decided to stick with that. Perhaps I should reactivate ABP and post about that and see if I could get it straightened out. As I said, I prefer ABP.
mapx

Post by mapx »

yeah, post your YT issue in another new topic, providing also the filter which (as you said) does not work in ABP.

as for the above issue, it's the same blockable items list which permits you to enable / disable various filters (also seeing from which list a filter is triggered). Disable 1 by 1 the blocked filters in that list and you'll find the "bad" one.
SteveHIN

Post by SteveHIN »

Ah, thanks mapx. I'll have to switch them out and check that out in ABP, it sounds fairly simple according to your explanation. I'm sure I'll have to play around with it a little bit, but hopefully I will get the hang of it. I assume that you have additional filter lists added in ABP, since you were able to tell that it was fanboys annoyances list that was giving the problem in uBlock. That was another reason I had gotten interested in uBlock, ABP only offers a couple of filters to subscribe to and uBlock had a number of them. In this situation, it caused a problem, but I thought more than a couple of lists might come in handy. So how do you find and install more filter lists in ABP now?
mapx

Post by mapx »

when someone has a problem, I try also easyprivacy, social list, annoyances list.

ublock does not offer nothing more: you can subscribe all the lists you want from:
en/subscriptions
mapx

Post by mapx »

Also, the devs are working to a new options interface where you'll be able to select other subscriptions (no big deal: now you can subscribe from that page I linked above)
SteveHIN

Post by SteveHIN »

Thank you very much mapx, I will make a new post about the YouTube annotations filter, and see if anyone can come up with a filter that works for me under ABP there. If so, I will be coming back to ABP. uBlock seems to be a decent extension, but not as intuitive and user friendly as ABP and no support that I can find, so I would definitely prefer to come back to ABP.