this app does nothing ? or it's my system ?

Everything about using the stand-alone Adblock Plus app on Android
Negleh

this app does nothing ? or it's my system ?

Post by Negleh »

Downloaded this on 5 different android devices, literally does nothing on all 5 of them.

LG G3
LG Motion
Nexus 7
LG L9
Galaxy S4

Never blocked one ad on all of them, in fact, I feel like more ads have been coming in because they must enable something that if ad block is used, they send more ads. Quite worthless.
firefoxcvp

Re: Let's be real here, this app does nothing.

Post by firefoxcvp »

I have a android device, Moto G, it works fine. What is the version of android that you have?
HMArnold

Re: Let's be real here, this app does nothing.

Post by HMArnold »

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2

Works great for me on all sites

I had actually quit reading news on the internet because the flashing ads were so distracting. Now I can read any news site again
Anon1

Re: this app does nothing ? or it's my system ?

Post by Anon1 »

It does nothing for me also. Blocks ads in one rarely used app. All the others it does nothing. Banner adds, full page ads, video ads, all come through. Even worse it won't allow one of my game s to play. It doesn't block ads but blocks games FAIL.
HMArnold

Post by HMArnold »

Now that I have had a chance to use it more, I'd like to modify my answer above.

Adblock works sometimes on my SGTS2.

On a major news site, it comes up normally most of the time, showing "block ads this site" with a check mark.

Sonetimes, however, it comes up on that site with ads, and when you look at the info, the "Block ads this site" is turned off and greyed out.

If you look at another thread I posted on this issue, it has 100 views and no responses.

Makes me think this app is no longer supported and now allows websites to decide when ads can be blocked.

It's still better than nothing, but if anyone knows of one that works or is supported I would be interested in hearing about it

Don't care how much it costs if it blocks ads all the time
mapx

Post by mapx »

Makes me think this app is no longer supported and now allows websites to decide when ads can be blocked.
see the response of the ABP developer for android:
forum/viewtopic.php?p=138951#p138951
Anon1

Post by Anon1 »

Do yourself a favor. Root your device (you won't lose anything) and download AdAway (it's free but requires root). It's not available on the Google App store but search for it on the web. I just did this today and am blown away. This app uses a host list and has completely wiped out ads on all apps I have tried so far. It doesn't even show a box where there ads should be. They are just gone. Banner ads, full page ads, video ads, gone. Even better, it doesn't use a proxy so games I couldn't use with APB (even when turned off) work fine.

I tired ABP and it was a mess. It blocked ads in one app only and wouldn't let me play one of my games, even when I turned it off. Then I would get random notification that it wasn't blocking ads on Wi-FI and a date of somewhere in 2017. No idea what that means.

I usually don't buy apps and although this AdAway is free, I am going to donate something. It was just getting ridiculous with every app I used constantly throwing full page ads or worse full page video ads every time you did something.

The advertisers are crying that people are blocking ads and that they made a mistake making them so obnoxious. They are only saying that because people are using ad blockers on the web but they sure aren't doing a thing to tone down ads on Android apps. They are getting worse and worse,