[Done] more obvious icon for "Enabled"

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:But the selected row is a problem now. I replaced the image in the post above to show it. Green on blue isn't very visible.
Maybe the checkmark just needs a little "white gradient" in it like the existing green bullets .... THEY seem to show up on the blue just fine. :?:
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Another attempt with a lighter green:
That's MUCH better. You could actually have lightened up that blue a little instead if you wanted and left the text darker ... the blue doesn't have to be that dark imo.

The problem with the new icons is that they do not have the color "variety" of the old bullets. If you look at the bullets, they use green or red with black and white .... they always show no matter what the background. The new ones do not.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

ps:

Did you ever think of using plus and minus signs instead, Wladimir?

I would think that a green "+" and a red "-" with a slight black shadow would probably work the best seeing that they have the best x-y pixelization and would naturally look better in that small size ... not 'ragged' like a 45 angle.
Last edited by rick752 on Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

I cannot touch the blue - it is defined by the theme and is dependent on other colors (like text color). If I change this color I will have to change all colors of the tree.

Ensuring color variety is beyond my graphic editing skills. Maybe somebody else wants to give it a try.

Edit: The plus sign brings back the discoverability problem we already have with the dots.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Ok. Here's an idea.

You already have made the icons and they are both fairly dark. If you can simply duplicate each icon within the graphic, paint that one white and shift it one or 2 pixels along the x-axis, it will create a pseudo-shadow that should work against any background. Against a white background it will look as it does now .... against any other color, it will give a white 'highlight' making it stand out more.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Stupid Head wrote:
Alan wrote:The meaning is now obvious, even to a colorblind person. I suspect that abandoning a color cue might make it more compatible with various themes too.
That's assuming the background is light. If it is dark, then it'll be hard to see regardless of how good your vision is.

I like the checkmark, but I think it should be some color other than black.
I wasn't suggesting that the checkmark be black or assuming that the background is light. Specifying *any* particular absolute color could work against UI issues of accessibility, portability, and maintainability. Making the checkmark be the same color as that used by the text in the Preferences window would satisfy those criteria.

I trust that the developer already has those issues in mind though. Maybe Rick's suggestion sufficiently addresses them.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

I don't see anybody posting suggestions for multicolor checkmarks so I simply made a black border around it:

This icon seems to handle different backgrounds much better. However, this still needs to be discussed so it isn't going to make Adblock Plus 0.7.5.1 which I am releasing now. Too bad, next release then...
chewey

Post by chewey »

What about a border in some shade of grey?

On light-coloured backgrounds, the checkmark's visibility is fine in my
opinion - however, it gets a bit dark on darker backgrounds. A grey
border would probably fix that, I tried colours from about rgb(3x130)
to rgb(3x220), and I really like the effect of the grey at around rgb(3x170).