Changes to Pale Moon GUID and XUL Overlay Adjustments

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
mattatobin

Changes to Pale Moon GUID and XUL Overlay Adjustments

Post by mattatobin »

Greetings, My name is Matt A. Tobin and I am a contributing developer and Addons site Administrator for the Pale Moon project. I am writing this forum post to inform you that the Pale Moon browser (originally and historically forked from Firefox) has changed it's GUID. Though we have made modifications to allow Firefox addons to install with the Firefox GUID this change does not cover the Application XUL Overlays that allow Adblock Plus to address many Gecko based applications.

While we are preserving the Pre-Australis UI and continuing down our road of independent development this change has partly crippled your fan favorite addon. The modifications to your install.rdf and chrome manifest files are minor and it would be appreciated if you would support Pale Moon out of the box as the growing number of users in the community using Pale Moon steadily increases.

More information can be found here: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5440

If you have any additional questions please contact us either via this thread, our forums, or my self by email.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Peace,

Matt A. Tobin

Contributing Developer / Beta Tester / 3rd Party Build Contributor / Addons Site Administrator
The Pale Moon Project
Pale Moon 25.0.0 - No AdBlock Plus Icon

Re: Changes to Pale Moon GUID and XUL Overlay Adjustments

Post by Pale Moon 25.0.0 - No AdBlock Plus Icon »

I just upgraded to PM 25.0.0 and now AdBlock Plus is crippled. The Icon is gone from the Toolbar. I can only access AdBlock with Ctl+Shift+F3 now. I depend on AdBock Plus, so if the Pale Moon won't support it properly, I will downgrade PM to Release 24. Anyone else having issues?
Luxferre

Post by Luxferre »

Pale Moon 25.0.0 - No AdBlock Plus Icon wrote:I just upgraded to PM 25.0.0 and now AdBlock Plus is crippled. The Icon is gone from the Toolbar. I can only access AdBlock with Ctl+Shift+F3 now. I depend on AdBock Plus, so if the Pale Moon won't support it properly, I will downgrade PM to Release 24. Anyone else having issues?
See here :

https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/ ... lock-plus/
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

If Pale Moon was based on ESR24 why not just re-base it on the newer Firefox ESR? Do you hate Australis that much to never upgrade beyond the older code base?
Luxferre

Post by Luxferre »

fanboy wrote:If Pale Moon was based on ESR24 why not just re-base it on the newer Firefox ESR? Do you hate Australis that much to never upgrade beyond the older code base?
One of the reasons why Pale Moon is my default browser is because I despise Australis theme with a passion.
In my eyes it is an abomination and betrayal of everything what Firefox once was.
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

Every release since Australis has been rolled out its tuned the interface, personally I don't mind it. But Pale Moon deciding keep an older code ESR24 will become a security issue and personally I think Adblock Plus shouldn't support it.
mattatobin

Post by mattatobin »

fanboy wrote:Every release since Australis has been rolled out its tuned the interface, personally I don't mind it. But Pale Moon deciding keep an older code ESR24 will become a security issue and personally I think Adblock Plus shouldn't support it.
The backend codebase is patched every release with security updates backported from later mozilla versions. As security issues are painstakingly tracked and fixes applied.

And EVEN for the sake of argument and your lack of proper knowledge was indeed correct.. Wouldn't blocking ads and elements become MORE important?
abpuser2013

Post by abpuser2013 »

Hopefully all addon devs. will support PM in the future. Huge task.

Please add support to abp.

Pulling away from ff is a great advancement.
old grey fox

Post by old grey fox »

I had to reinstall Pale Moon on my 10.1" netbook. Unfortunately, I was stuck downloading version 25.0.0 and ABP won't work on this newest iteration of the browser. Please make your add-on compatible with Pale Moon once again. The ads just take up way too much real estate on my tiny screen.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Pale Moon not using Australis is a big reason why many people have switched to it from FF. I've used the Australis GUI since the public release, up to the current FF, and still highly prefer PM.
bat758

Post by bat758 »

Have some concerns about this.
I test browsers on a daily basis and came across this whilst testing Pale Moon.
https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/ ... lock-plus/
They have created a Pseudo-Static version of adblock plus.
Are they permitted to do this?
bat758

Post by bat758 »

fanboy wrote:Every release since Australis has been rolled out its tuned the interface, personally I don't mind it. But Pale Moon deciding keep an older code ESR24 will become a security issue and personally I think Adblock Plus shouldn't support it.
100% agree and you are absolutely correct about the security issues.
IMHO the current version of PM should not be supported by Adblock Plus.
Luxferre

Post by Luxferre »

bat758 wrote:
100% agree and you are absolutely correct about the security issues.
IMHO the current version of PM should not be supported by Adblock Plus.
What security issues ? You don't know what you are talking about. Inform yourself.
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

Luxferre wrote: What security issues ? You don't know what you are talking about. Inform yourself.
If its not coming from the Mozilla, and not using the current/most recent source it will fair game for any security bugs. I trust 100's of Firefox developers over a handful of Palmoon devs.

As Firefox improves code over time this will could benefit all extensions and developers, why would Adblock Plus support an older source code base unnecessarily? If Palemoon developers wants to stick with an older codebase they should do the hard work to make those all those extensions compatible themselves.