Adblock Plus is causing Firefox to freeze

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
mapx

Re: Adblock Plus is causing Firefox to freeze

Post by mapx »

well, it was the theme ...
TCCB

Post by TCCB »

I don't think it was just the theme, because I had disabled it before, but ultimately yes, the theme was the problem, the weird thing is that the theme worked, I just had to disable the Bookmark Toolbar. Not to mention I was using the theme for months now, and I never had a problem with it, it was something that happened just in the past three days.
TCCB

Post by TCCB »

And I'm back!

It started up again.

Facebook is freezing Firefox again.

I made another clean install, and added my addons one by one, with Adblock Plus being the very last one (did not use any theme), as soon as I added Adblock Plus, everything I open Facebook, or open any tab from a friend's profile or page, Firefox freezes.

I tried uninstalling Adblock Plus, and it started working properly again. Next I tried installing Adblock Edge (with only easylist), and it froze up again. As soon as I uninstalled it, it worked well again.

Is easylist updated daily or from X day to X day? I ask so I can try it out the next time it's updated and see if the problem goes away.
mapx

Post by mapx »

it's updated every 5-6 days but you can update it manually
TCCB

Post by TCCB »

Well I updated it manually today, and the problem is still there, which means I'm in trouble.

I still find it odd that Firefox and Cyberfox freeze, but PaleMoon and IceDragon don't. It must be an incompatibility with the more recent Firefox source code, Firefox and Cyberfox update almost simultaniously which PaleMoon and IceDragon are several versions behind and are nowhere near the newer, australis updated code.
mapx

Post by mapx »

what if you clear all cache and cookies in firefox ?
TCCB

Post by TCCB »

I've cleared the cache and deleted all the cookies in Firefox itself, I did it with Ccleaner, and I've done clean installs, between which I delete all temporary files and customization.

By this point, I've done all that I could think of, all that you've suggested, and I just can't find a way to fix it.
davinn

Post by davinn »

I'm having the same problem and wondered if it wasn't related to Facebooks new ad roll out. Could it be intentional?
TCCB

Post by TCCB »

Well I just uninstalled Windows 8.1, installed Windows 7, and everything is still the same.

Don't see any way out of this one.

I either stop using Firefox (and use IceDragon or PaleMoon instead), or stop using Adblock Plus.
js

Post by js »

TCCB wrote:Ok, I think I found something.

I can't have my Bookmark Toolbar (even if empty) on while I'm browsing Facebook, and have Adblock Plus turned on.

If I turn off the Bookmark Toolbar, I can have Adblock Plus turned on, and browse Facebook without it freezing at all.

It doesn't make any sense to me, I hope it makes some to you. Especially because I'd like to be able to use the Bookmark Toolbar, because that's my go-to shortcut for all sites I use.
Crazy! Yeah, hiding the Bookmark Toolbar worked! I left everything else the same with filters, etc. Maybe something with the site design?
MonztA
ABP Developer

Post by MonztA »

Does it work for you if you turn off the chat?
TCCB

Post by TCCB »

With me it's the other way around.

I always have my chat turned off (so no one can see if I'm online), but if I turn it on, even if just to one person, I can browse Facebook without it freezing Firefox.
galacticninja

Post by galacticninja »

I have a similar issue which I had posted in a thread which was closed (Firefox 30 freezing (not responding) at Facebook.com). Reposting it here with added details, for discussion:

Upon updating to Firefox 30, I've noticed that every time I view my news feed (https://www.facebook.com/ - while logged in), other people's timeline (https://www.facebook.com/insertprofileidhere) or album pages at Facebook, the browser hangs / freezes for ~30 seconds or more if ABP is the only extension enabled and if EasyList is the only list enabled. Oftentimes the ff. error message will also appear after the browser has freezed for some time:

" Warning: Unresponsive script

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: https://fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net/rsrc.php/v2/yp/r/21bfDHaSBi6.js:68 "

Opting to stop the script will allow me to view the page and stop the browser from hanging.

This happens if ABP is the *only* extension I have enabled, and EasyList is the *only* list I have active. (See ABP report below)
  • ABP report made after browser freeze
  • Browser: Firefox 30
  • ABP version: 2.6.3
  • Already tried: Clearing all cookies, cache, *all* history - to no avail.
  • Tried different themes, including the default theme, but the issue persists. Bookmarks toolbar is not enabled.
  • Disabling EasyList, and using only the Facebook Annoyances blocking list seems to resolve the issue. (but ads will appear on every site)
  • I've experienced no similar issues on non-facebook.com sites.
____

EDIT: Just saw this post (Easylist freezing Firefox when checking Facebook) at the EasyList forums:
TCCB wrote:I found out that if I turn on my Facebook chat everything works fine, which is weird.
It seems that this workaround works. I would prefer to have chat disabled though. To further improve the workaround, go to Chat options > Advanced Settings > Turn on chat for only some friends... and specify a friend name or list you wouldn't mind being shown your chat online status to.
Last edited by galacticninja on Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TCCB

Post by TCCB »

I used to get that too, I even changed the timeout to give it more time, but it didn't work.

Lately I don't get the script error, but it still freezes if my chat is turned off.

I also use Cyberfox (which is a browser based on the Firefox code), there I never got the script error, it just froze.
UserNameGoesHere

Post by UserNameGoesHere »

I am having the EXACT same problem. Currently using Firefox 30, but it started with 29.x
Disabled ALL other Add-Ons except ABP and then went to Facebook.
Entire browser froze. Left ABP ON, but disabled Easylist, then went back to Facebook.
Suddenly everything works. Clearly the problem resides within it.

Also, here are the two different errors that come up once the browser finally unfreezes :

[1] A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.
Script:
[2] A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.
Script: