AdblockPlusAcceptableAds Key and Signature

Discussion on adblockplus.org website and translations
srhodes

AdblockPlusAcceptableAds Key and Signature

Post by srhodes »

Hey everyone!
Apologies if this isn't the right forum....I'm not sure where this should go.

I need help in understanding what the difference is between the AdblockPlusAcceptableAdsKey and AdblockPlusAcceptableAdsSignature? I can find lots of websites with the same Key but not the same Signature. Is the Key the main account and the Signature each separate domain under that account?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :P

Sara
srhodes

Figured it out

Post by srhodes »

I think I've figure this out....

It looks like the AdblockPlusAcceptableAdsKey is provided to domain hosting companies (looks to be 5 that have this). All the sites that the hosting company host then sign their sites using RSA and that generates the AdblockPlusAcceptableAdsSignature. This then is used by AdBlock's Acceptable Ads whitelist to allow the site's ad's to be approved.
greiner
ABP Developer

Re: AdblockPlusAcceptableAds Key and Signature

Post by greiner »

Correct, the key and signature are used to identify domains from certain providers and to apply rules for blocking/unblocking of ads. It's an alternative to listing all of the domains individually and allows filter authors to target a large number of different domains/pages, which is especially useful for creating rules for domain hosting companies.

If you're interested, there's some more information about it in our Help Center:
- Sitekey restrictions
- Implementing a sitekey on the server

It's also worth noting that this feature is not limited to Acceptable Ads so anyone can use it in their own filter lists.