Glossary of terms

Discussion on adblockplus.org website and translations
alberto

Glossary of terms

Post by alberto »

A glossary of terms can help translators, editors and users alike: ensure consistency in content and translations, clarify concepts and synonyms, and provide a reference to detailed documentation.

This is a draft version which includes key concepts, user-interface labels, tricky terms to translate (at least in Spanish) or that should not be translated.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key ... utput=html

If you are interested in using this with Google Translator Toolkit (GTT), you can add a column with your locale code and the translated terms, download as CSV, and upload in GTT. I used this spreadsheet in GTT, note the "es" locale for Spanish as an example. Instructions here.

If the glossary proves useful, perhaps it could make it as a glossary page in the website. For example, a table with english term (fixed) | translated term | description | links columns.

This is work in progress. Feel free to contribute.

What do you think, is this helpful? Any other terms that should be added?
Wladimir Palant

Re: Translating website documentation - tips & ideas

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Yes, very useful - I think that should be a section on the introduction page for translators. I added a little more info.
alberto

Post by alberto »

Thanks; IMHO the glossary could be helpful anyone -- users, editors and translators. Therefore it could be a standalone page that is then referenced from the guideline for translators.

I forgot to acknowledge the source material. Some of these definitions were copied from the forum posts here and here, and the website documentation. Thanks to those that contributed there. BTW, I'm struggling to get a proper, to-the-point definition for 'filters' -- any ideas?
alberto

Post by alberto »

maybee suggested few additional terms for the glossary:
- slow filter
- recommended filter subscriptions
- filter subscription = 2 types (standalone, combination) (need to give shape to the combination.)
e.g : EasyList has 2 types of filters (complete filterset. only blocking filters without element hiding)
There is the concept of supplementary subscription, not sure about standalone vs. combination.

Please add your comments / questions to this topic so we can discuss.
Wladimir Palant

I don't think we currently have any documentation on supplemental subscriptions whatsoever... As to slow filters - all documentations there is very outdated. Still, these terms might be important for future documentation.
alberto

Post by alberto »

That's right, there is no proper documentation explaining the supplementary subscription concept, however it is already referenced in the subscription list, link factory, and some filter list forums.
maybee

addtional terms

Post by maybee »

- Online Tracking or privacy filters
- content policies : http://adblockplus.org/en/faq_internal
- shortcut : What it needs is a unique string of eight characters (a "shortcut") that must be present in every address matched by the filter (the length is arbitrary, eight just seems reasonable here).
- Comments (!... in the list)
- filter subscription Author V.S filter Maintainer : forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5555
Last edited by maybee on Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wladimir Palant

Re: Glossary of terms

Shortcuts are an implementation detail and will likely be replaced by a different mechanism in Adblock Plus 1.4: forum/viewtopic.php?t=6118