Adblock Plus has lost 5 million users

Discussion on adblockplus.org website and translations
kolor

Adblock Plus has lost 5 million users

Post by kolor »

Adblock Plus has lost 5 million users .I just would like know why.

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/09/29/firef ... past-year/
Dopy1994

Re: Adblock Plus has lost 5 million users

Post by Dopy1994 »

I wonder why too. I mean did something bad happen? Everything works just fine. Why do they complain?
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

My first guess was the rise in popularity of uBlock Origin, but it turns out that's not the whole story.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
DidierAubin87

Post by DidierAubin87 »

OMG. I have just known that news :shock: really wonder why did this thing happen? I thought Adblock was working very well
hmsnaveen95

Post by hmsnaveen95 »

This News is unbelievable. In my opinion, Adblock has to go fine, Then why it happens. It really socking and me also want to know the reason.
Taylor90

Post by Taylor90 »

There are similar add-on with the same functions and features with Adblock, so the drop in the number users is understandable but I do not think that much.
SpinalBallsit

Post by SpinalBallsit »

I haven't changed yet, and i don't plan to, unless i see a fork of adblock plus bringing back the old functionality, because that is for me the biggest problem with adblock plus right now.
The acceptable ads is the problem, since you cannot block it in any way through adblock anymore, the block and console features are both seriously useless, and the custom filters do not seem to work when you add expressions or wildcards directly to the list (does not get saved, only through the block console it saves, but you cant use wildcards there so again... useless), something which worked flawlessly through the old ui!
So i started to monitor traffic and add everything to my host file instead, which will probably turn out for the better in the long run, allthough you cannot do everything that adblock does through the hosts file.

For information, in 14 days i have gone from 20 entries, to 5800 entries in my host file, blocking both control/rotation servers, trackers, and the ad networks themselves that are not blocked with Adblock Plus, which are a plenty!! allthough most of them are easily blocked with entries for the rotation server, eg you do not need to add the 1000s of domains that these rotation servers push you to.

This is despite me subscribing to all the following filters + having a really extensive custom list from before the switch to webext.

AAKList
Adblock Warning Removal List
EasyList Germany+EasyList
EasyPrivacy
Fanboy's Social Blocking List
Malware Domains
Prebake - Filter Obtrusive Cookie Notices
RuAdList+EasyList

The switch to webext killed Adblock Plus for me, and many others, and even allthough i did not really like ublock from my initial test, i have and will be looking occasionally for new and better alternatives, unless the blocking features return to adblock plus.
That was the whole foundation for adblock plus on firefox atleast. on Chrome i got Ublock, since adblock for Chrome has always been useless for my needs.
opatta17

Post by opatta17 »

I agree new AdBlock lost most important of its functionality - Element Blocker. It was like having total controll over what you see on the websites and I had number of my favourite pages "customised" my way using this tool. Now its useless.
NicolaJones

Post by NicolaJones »

I will be honest in my opinion. Lately I have been hearing good things about Ublock. With such increased competition, I think Adblock has done little to stay ahead of the curve. :(
I will share my bad experience. While testing my website, I found out that the Adblock is making things harder for my visitors who have adblock on their computers. Any link they click on my website, gets routed to unknown page. This has been found out after I checked it with visitors having adblock specifically.