Forum FAQ Provides Confusing PM Spam Reporting Advice

Discussion on adblockplus.org website and translations
bhbuehler

Forum FAQ Provides Confusing PM Spam Reporting Advice

Post by bhbuehler »

I received PM spam a month or so ago, and when I finally got around to reporting it, I found there was an entry in the forum FAQ about blocking or reporting abusive PMs.
I keep getting unwanted private messages!
You can block a user from sending you private messages by using message rules within your User Control Panel. If you are receiving abusive private messages from a particular user, inform a board administrator; they have the power to prevent a user from sending private messages.
There is also another FAQ entry about reporting spamming or abusive e-mail.
I have received a spamming or abusive e-mail from someone on this board!
We are sorry to hear that. The e-mail form feature of this board includes safeguards to try and track users who send such posts, so e-mail the board administrator with a full copy of the e-mail you received. It is very important that this includes the headers that contain the details of the user that sent the e-mail. The board administrator can then take action.
As I am an infrequent user, I was confused and followed the advice for reporting abusive e-mail. I interpreted this to mean sending a private message to a moderator (rather than an administrator which I have since realized is a different entity) with the body of the spam. The moderator blocked the user but then told me to report PM spam to the "Spam here on adblockplus.org/forum" topic.

This leaves me with two questions:
  • Is the forum FAQ right or is the moderator right? If the moderator is right, it seems to me that there should be an entry on the forum FAQ making clear how to report PM spam so doing so can be as easy as possible and so moderators are not inundated with spam reports.
  • If the forum FAQ is right, how do I inform a board administrator? Which one?