Donations through Bitcoin

Discussion on adblockplus.org website and translations
gary_rowe

Donations through Bitcoin

Post by gary_rowe »

First, I'd like to thank the AdBlock Plus team for making such a great tool. I rely on it every day and it makes the Internet bearable. Thank you.

In return, I'd like to help you with bringing in donations to support future features. I see that you already support credit cards and PayPal, so I thought I'd bring Bitcoin to your attention. In case you are unaware of it, Bitcoin provides an additional payment gateway that has the following features:

+ You don't have to pay any fees to receive bitcoins
+ The fees to send them are tiny (usually less than a penny worldwide)
+ You don't have to register with anyone to send or receive them
+ You can send a wide range of amounts cost-effectively (from under a penny to 1,000s pounds internationally)
+ You can exchange bitcoins for most currencies (certainly USD, EUR and GBP) any day of the week 24/7
+ You can receive payments offline (i.e. you can print the address on a business card if required)
+ You can receive payments from anyone, anywhere in the world (Bitcoin is global)
+ You are immune from problems with payment processors
+ All the software required to operate them is free and open source
+ The software runs on Windows, Mac, Linux, iPhone and Android
+ Bitcoin itself promotes a fair and just economy by offering people an alternative currency not under anyone's control (no government, no corporation, just a collaborative global effort)
+ Lots of other businesses are using it too

In order to receive payments via Bitcoin you need only do 2 things (overall time to complete is under 5 minutes):

1) Download a free and open source program to generate a Bitcoin address (think of it as like an email address to receive payments)
2) Post that Bitcoin address on the same page as your other payment options

An example of how it can be used is shown here: http://gary-rowe.com/agilestack/2012/01 ... h-no-code/

You can find out more about Bitcoin at the main site here: http://bitcoin.org (technical) or http://lovebitcoins.org/ (merchant friendly)

If you decide you want to try it out. Then the main client choices are: http://bitcoin.org/clients.html. I would suggest MultiBit for your requirements.

If you have any further questions, I would be happy to answer them for you.

What do you think? Is this viable for you?
lewisje

Re: Donations through Bitcoin

Post by lewisje »

lewisje wrote:I think Palant wants a bit more transparency from his donor-base than that; I mean he's not running an American SuperPAC here :P
nor some underground hacktivist tool: forum/viewtopic.php?p=56419#p56419
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Brian G

Post by Brian G »

+1 for bitcoin donation. I haven't donated yet as I really don't see why I should pay PayPal/Amazon just to give you money.
You can actually skip step 1 and just set up an online account with somebody like MtGox (okay so I guess thats a step but it's a bit easier) See how that works out (overall time to complete is under 4 minutes)
DGMurdockIII

Post by DGMurdockIII »

I support this as well
David12589

Post by David12589 »

Just saw the "zu Ablock Plus beitragen" button in my Adblock and wanted to donate my 5$. Sadly I don't use PayPal. I would donate too, if Bitcoin donations where accepted.
x8FAuH2u

Post by x8FAuH2u »

It was hard enough to locate the donate button in adblock, and then seeing that I can't use Bitcoin! So, I'm stepping by this forum to suggest AdBlock accepts Bitcoin donations :)
roboreb

Post by roboreb »

I'd just like to add my voice to this request as well.
Jace

Post by Jace »

+1 for Bitcoin donations!

I want to express my gratitude for Adblock with money. However, I only want to pay Adblock, I refuse to support evil malicious businesses like Paypal, Visa, Mastercard, or the banking industry. Instead, I want to use Bitcoin. Besides numerous other advantages, I think it makes sense especially for open and/or free software to accept Bitcoin donations: paying for free, open software, using 'free' (as in speech), open money. Sounds about right to me.

Could you please consider accepting Bitcoin donations? I really want to send you guys some cash!

Oh, and besides the added benefit of directly accepting Bitcoin donations without paying ridiculous fees to corrupt organizations like paypal, you can also expect to get a lot of exposure (it will definitely be mentioned on Bitcoin forums, attracting new users). And rest assured that TONS of people from the Bitcoin community (who are typically enthusiastic, generous, and rapidly growing in number) will be donating along with me.

Thanks in advance, and looking forward to getting rid of my money to you awesome people. Cheers!
shanedingo

Post by shanedingo »

I would also like to be generous with bitcoins
cheshirecat

Post by cheshirecat »

let us pay you!
adfree

Post by adfree »

Same
davidpotter

Post by davidpotter »

Current currency Bitcoin brings many risks, we should move on to other forms of trading will be better.
Le^el

Post by Le^el »

I thought for sure you guys would have a Bitcoin address.

Would like to donate when that option becomes possible.
abakus

Post by abakus »

Donating with bitcoins is now possible en/donate
n

Post by n »

abakus wrote:Donating with bitcoins is now possible en/donate
nice! 0.01x btc on the way.