Blocking inorganic / sponsored results

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
hackerb9

Blocking inorganic / sponsored results

Post by hackerb9 »

I don't want to block all ads. I want acceptable ads. But, I do not want ads that try to fool me by pretending to be organic search results. For example, if I search on Yelp for a specific business, I don't want sponsored results to appear first (or at all, really), especially when they look confusingly like what I searched for. If it is presented as an "acceptable ad" set to the side, I don't mind. It's the inline results that are so frustrating.

It's not just Yelp. I have a relative who is elderly and reads Facebook. Of course, I protected her by putting AdBlock Plus on her computer, but she still gets sponsored material appearing in her feed that she thinks it is from some person she knows and trusts. I believe Adblock Plus would prevent those ads if I unchecked "allow acceptable ads", but I would rather not have to do that.

Is there any filter list that removes sponsored results? I searched for quite awhile and found nothing.

Additionally, I would like to suggest that the Adblock Plus developers consider adding "sponsored results" to the definition of "Unacceptable Advertising".

Thanks!