Issues in the new ABP (version 3) for firefox

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
temp20171106

Issues in the new ABP (version 3) for firefox

Post by temp20171106 »

Hi,
just wanted to give some feedback, sorry if you already got that from other people.

1. UI dumbification is not good.
2. there is no way to see blockable elements list anymore. It's kind of essential in creating new filters.
3. filter editing dialog is also awful(ie the plain textbox)
mapx

Re: Adblockplus 3.0

Post by mapx »

2. click F12, click "Adblock Plus" tab, press F5 (refreshing the page) ==> You'll get the list of the web requests, triggered filters, hover the rows and you can click "block item" / "add an exception"
john487

Issues in ABP 3.0

Post by john487 »

My AdBlock Plus was updated, and now I no longer see "open blockable items".

Before I could clearly see what is getting blocked, and what is allowed, and how I can block specific parts from other sites.

Please tell me how to see it in this version?
john487

Re: blockable items on page in ABP 3.0

Post by john487 »

Thanks, I already downgraded to the previous version, but I will try it out in the future.

How about blocking ads on Domain vs This page only?
mapx

Post by mapx »

Do you mean "disable on this page only" ? there is not an equivalent feature, you can disable the whole domain (click ABP icon, click the first entry)

However, you should use the new ABP, from FF 57 the old one will be avoided (by the new firefox extensions system)
QuailRider43

Post by QuailRider43 »

I registered to voice my absolute hatred of what you've done with Adblockplus v3. It's awful. All the advanced features I've relied on for years are gone. The ability to easily view filterable items is gone. Element hiding is so much uglier than the Element Hiding Addon. The interface is really dumbed down now. What a huge disappointment. How to I revert to v2.x until this nightmare goes away? Kindly consider firing whoever thought this garbage was a good idea.
jerriy

How do I disable auto-updating to the latest version (3.0)?

Post by jerriy »

According to Adblock Plus itself version 3.0 (that I just got today by automatic update) is "lacking much of the functionality that Firefox users got used to. We plan to add more functionality to it in future."

Well I have plan of my own, namely not to use this "lacking" 3.0.

There's no way I can accept that I no longer have the effective ability to edit my own filter rule (by making it searchable and sortable in COLUMNS so that I can instantly find out what I just added). Version 3.0 doesn't provide that - it randomly shuffles the filter list and presents it in an unsearchable, unsortable way, so it's 100% completely useless for me (I dont have infinite spare time to test every line just only in order to discover what new blocking/hiding filter I just added). This filter rule display even more lacking than Google Chrome's ABP, which at least is chronological so I just scroll down to the bottom to see my latest addition.
Last edited by jerriy on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:32 am, edited 7 times in total.
Ryulong

Re: How do I disable autoupdating to version 3.0?

Post by Ryulong »

If you install directly from the home page it installs v2.9.1 rather than 3.0. And if you go into add-ons manager and hit "Options" for Adblock Plus you can turn off automatic updates, preventing the upgrade to 3.0 again.
noway

Post by noway »

Thanks for the info. Tried ABP v3.0 and hated it. Guess FF 56.0 will be my last Firefox.
jerriy

Re: How do I disable autoupdating to version 3.0?

Post by jerriy »

Ryulong wrote:If you install directly from the home page it installs v2.9.1 rather than 3.0. And if you go into add-ons manager and hit "Options" for Adblock Plus you can turn off automatic updates, preventing the upgrade to 3.0 again.
Thanks - I'll do that.
wspee

Post by wspee »

QuailRider43 wrote:I registered to voice my absolute hatred of what you've done with Adblockplus v3. It's awful. All the advanced features I've relied on for years are gone. The ability to easily view filterable items is gone. Element hiding is so much uglier than the Element Hiding Addon. The interface is really dumbed down now. What a huge disappointment. How to I revert to v2.x until this nightmare goes away? Kindly consider firing whoever thought this garbage was a good idea.
Sorry to disappoint you. We we are planning to bring back the missing features over time.

As @mapx pointed out the list of filterable items is still available via the development tools (F12 then "Adblock Plus", F5 to refresh the list).

Unfortunately the only way to use v2 is to use an outdated Firefox version (<v57).
fer312t

Disable Adblock without whitelist?

Post by fer312t »

Previous version of Adblock, with one click we could turn "off adblock everywhere" which was effectively an off/switch.
Now it seems we can only disable by site (which immediately adds that site to the whitelist.)
I DO NOT WANT to have a list of sites that I am blocking...I want a simple enable/disable button as before. Is this not possible???
wyxchari

Re: How do I disable auto-updating to the latest version (3.0)?

Post by wyxchari »

This version 3.0 is a real shit. Of course I've put the add-ons updates manually so they never update to 3.0.
The real power of adblock are the custom filters and without being able to edit them easily is a real nuisance.
I've put all my computers so they never update automatically and stay in version 2.9.1.
mapx

Re: How do I disable auto-updating to the latest version (3.0)?

Post by mapx »

wyxchari wrote:I've put all my computers so they never update automatically and stay in version 2.9.1.
You have to stay with FF 56, otherwise beginning with FF 57 the old addons will be removed / disabled