Issues in the new ABP (version 3) for firefox

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
vastymedoisa

Re: Adblockplus 3.0

Post by vastymedoisa »

greiner wrote:
temp20171106 wrote:but I don't see Adblock tab in F12, on debian stable, FF ESR 52.4.0

only Inspector, Console, Debugger, Style edi.., Perform.., Memory, Network.

perhaps have to apt-get update && upgrade.
I found that Firefox 52 didn't fully support the new web extension system yet and this appears to be one of the features that were still missing because according to Mozilla's documentation they only added it in Firefox 54.

In case you're wondering, we couldn't simply leave Firefox 52 on the old version of the extension because we cannot distribute two versions of the same extension through Firefox' extension store.
Hi, FF52.5.0esr (52esr is compulsory here) and ADBlock plus 3.0.1,
I still see
https://s1.postimg.org/2g87cw8umn/untitled2.jpg
i.e. I dont see ADBlock Tab, I need it to be able watching the filter counter.
Thanks a lot for adding it.
Best,
GOLINAPI

Re: Issues in the new ABP (version 3) for firefox

Post by GOLINAPI »

So if i understand, since quantum, the smart advanced firefox users get the same... casual chrome users, right ?

Why adblock is so simple ? no advanced options ?
why my personnals well classed lists of blocked elements are now in ONE ... list where i can't even unselect element one by one ? where is the search bar ? where is the import/export option ?

And i don't speak about element hiding helper, the integrated version is a joke.

It's all broken
tonycstech

Post by tonycstech »

New UI is confusing. It does not follow STANDARDS of UI programming. It is more of an phone app UI then anything else.

Right click no longer has item to block elements etc.
Some ads flash for a second and then are gone. Meaning ads are no longer blocked, they are paused after they get thru.

I think the developer is doing it intentionally because he finally got his price met.
Perhaps Google its self offered him few hundred thousands to allow ads to go thru somehow as well as removing blocking elements with right click.

Does anyone have an alternative to adblock ?
cjsmall

Post by cjsmall »

I'm still confused by this and other discussions.

Is there no plan to make Element Hiding Helper, or some equivalent functionality, available going forward? I agree with others that what currently exists is totally inadequate on many fronts. It's a shame to see something that was so great be reduced to such an inadequate -- and really unusable -- level.
wspee

Post by wspee »

vastymedoisa wrote:
Hi, FF52.5.0esr (52esr is compulsory here) and ADBlock plus 3.0.1,
I still see
https://s1.postimg.org/2g87cw8umn/untitled2.jpg
i.e. I dont see ADBlock Tab, I need it to be able watching the filter counter.
Thanks a lot for adding it.
Best,
Have you made sure that you didn't disable the devtools panel in the advanced tab? There is a checkbox "Show 'Adblock Plus' panel in developer tools".
mapx

Post by mapx »

vastymedoisa

Post by vastymedoisa »

I dont understand the reply.
Is FF esr not supported by adblock?
why I dont see the adb icon in dev tools?

it has been removed? or is it a bug that will be fixed?
(mine edition is NOT portable)
thanks.
Last edited by vastymedoisa on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mapx

Post by mapx »

If you read the linked post, yeah, it's not supported in FF ESR (52)

However, the devs are thinking what to do => https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/6176
vastymedoisa

Post by vastymedoisa »

I warmly hope that they do it.
rlaggren

RequestPolicy addon for FF kills Adblock

Post by rlaggren »

Sorry, I don't know a quick way to get the Adblock version. Perhaps you could add that text in the Options display or the dialog that appears when you click the ABP icon? IAC, I installed the Adblock beta on 12-8-17.

FF version is 52.5. Perhaps that has something to do w/the following behavior?

What occurs:

ABP appears superficially to work w/out RequestPolicy enabled. IOW, the BlockElement options appears at the bottom of the rt-clk context menu and the ABP icon in FF top bar drops the ABP dialog and clicking Options open and Options page.

Enable RequestPolicy (previously installed years ago and updated as possible) and restart FF and there is no BlockElement option at the bottom of the context menu and the ABP icon, although it appears on the top bar with other addon icons, does nothing at all.

Disable RequestPolicy and ABP works again. Enable RequestPolicy and ABP does not work. Fully repeatable.

Other addons which I enabled one by one w/out causing this problem: NoScript; MozillaArchiveFormat; BookmarkCurrentTabSet; HTTP-Everywhere; Internote. These addons are all working together and w/ABP w/no problem.

Hope this helps.

Rufus
mapx

Post by mapx »

It's a known issue in mozilla house => legacy addons cannot fully work together with webextensions.

More, your version (52) is too old to run ok with the new extensions.
abpuser12

Post by abpuser12 »

So I just updated Firefox and ABP today, and for my surprise it is not blocking facebook comments plugin on sites anymore, how can I fix this? Why would anyone do this
mapx

Post by mapx »

Did you subscribed the social list ?
karimovic

Post by karimovic »

In the event that you introduce specifically from the landing page it introduces v2.9.1 as opposed to 3.0. Furthermore, on the off chance that you go into additional items chief and hit "Choices" for Adblock Plus you can kill programmed refreshes, keeping the move up to 3.0 once more
fade011

Post by fade011 »

wspee wrote:
Sorry to disappoint you. We we are planning to bring back the missing features over time.

As @mapx pointed out the list of filterable items is still available via the development tools (F12 then "Adblock Plus", F5 to refresh the list).

Unfortunately the only way to use v2 is to use an outdated Firefox version (<v57).
Hi. I know this is outdated, but maybe someone can help me: How do i install v2 on firefox 52?

releases/adblock-plus-231-for-firefox-a ... a-released
"Install Adblock Plus 2.3 for Firefox" on previous url redirects to adblockplus home, wich installs v3 of abp

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/
shows only v3 versions

I work with an old ffox 43 (where old version 2 works perfect) for some specific things i need an I need ffox 52 in another os, and cant install there. Is there a way to copy installed plugin form one version to another?

Thank you in advance.

By the way... hope next ABP version comes with v2 ui functionality as many other people do. V3 is useless for me too :(