Blocking content marketing ads

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
gooooldiii

Blocking content marketing ads

Post by gooooldiii »

Marketers are struggling with Adblocker and have started using "content marketing" in order to bypass the ad blocking software. "Content marketing" ads are integrated into the content of the websites. In some markets, regulators insist that these content marketing ads must be identifiable as advertisements. This is why there is a text e.g. "payed advertisement" or "advertisement" on the top of the ad. I find these ads as irritating as the regular banners. However, I think that there is a way how Adblocker could identify also these ads and stop showing them.

Firstly, it would require that Adblocker could "brake down" the html elements of any website in order to separate the "content marketing" ads that are integrated to the website. If this is possible, any Adblocker user could "tag" the content marketing ads by clicking the advertisement element. After there are enough "tags", Adblocker could show a flag on the top of this element for other users as well and ask others to confirm that it really is an ad. After there have been enough confirmations, Adblocker could start blocking these content ads.

The whole system could be based on volunteers (or crowdsourcing). Users could opt-in for the "adbuster" team only if they want. All those users who are not part of the "adbuster" team, would not see the flags..

What do you think?
lewisje

Re: Blocking content marketing ads

Post by lewisje »

That would require this proposal, which was rejected years ago but may be revived: forum/viewtopic.php?t=5977
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.