Eyeo Help! Safari extension in iOS 15.1 not working

Everything about using Adblock Plus on iOS
cam8528

Eyeo Help! Safari extension in iOS 15.1 not working

Post by cam8528 »

Ads are showing up and its stressing me out! Normally youtube ads are blocked in safari on my iphone but now they are showing up! Im afraid to browse the internet at all until this is fixed! The only information i have which could be useful to fixing this problem is after updating to iOS 15.1 a day or so later i got a notification from my xfinity xfi app which lets me see what devices are connected to my home wifi and it said “new device connected: Apple Mobile Device”.

So i was like well, is that my iphone? I got an email from comcast saying there was some new feature for the new iOS update. And my regular devices i recognized on my network were all still connected including “cam’s iphone” which is what i normally recognized my iphone as along side my computer and other IoT devices.

So i pressed “pause device” in the xfi app for the newly connected “Apple Mobile Device” and waited to see if it was in fact my iphone. After pausing the newly connected device, and leaving “cam’s iphone” unpaused, i could not connect to the internet with my iphone.

So it turns out the new iphone update adds a newly connected device to your home network, and leaves your old connected ios device still connected, and requires the new “Apple Mobile Device” to be unpaused in order to allow your iphone to stay connect to your home wifi. Furthermore, this new feature BREAKS ADBLOCK PLUS EXTENSION FOR SAFARI IN IOS!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA x 6.022x10^23 + AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA + RRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
cam8528

Re: Eyeo Help! Safari extension in iOS 15.1 not working

Post by cam8528 »

Just in time for the Holidays Too!!!
cam8528

Post by cam8528 »

cam8528

Post by cam8528 »

I checked some news websites and it looks like some of the ads are still being blocked, but on YouTube the ads are getting THROUGH! I just wanted to update as i learn more about relevant information, exploring new features and all
cam8528

Post by cam8528 »

Still here
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

This problem doesn't seem to be related to the iOS 15.1 update or your network configuration. Instead, it appears to be due to a limitation with Safari's Content Blocking API, which Adblock Plus is and other ad blocking apps are using.

We're currently looking into the capabilities of Safari's new WebExtension API, so that Adblock Plus can block more than what the Content Blocking API allows at the moment. That's not a simple change though, so it may take a while before we can release a version that's based on Apple's new system.
cam8528

Post by cam8528 »

Thank you for the reassuring reply. If I come across anything that might be relevant I will post it here. Best of luck, and happy holidays team.

cam
cam8528

Post by cam8528 »

bump

Any word on progress from eyeo?
cam8528

Post by cam8528 »

Im back ????? Any newz?
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

We've redesigned the app to improve the ad blocking quality and recently released it as Adblock Plus for Safari 2.2 (see https://apps.apple.com/us/app/adblock-p ... 1028871868).
cam8528

Post by cam8528 »

hopefully since now u have to pay for Facebook the ability for this malware to spread is hampered tremendously
cam8528

Post by cam8528 »

yes i remember installing the update for adblock plus in safari! Thank You ABP!!!!