More filters (and Mother Jones)?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on iOS
jhaber3

More filters (and Mother Jones)?

Post by jhaber3 »

When I go to posts on the Mother Jones blog on an iPhone,

Code: Select all

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum
, I still get a lot of garish ads. Of course, on a computer (where I've a PC using Firefox), one gets options to right-click and add filters, as well as to download filters (like fanboy). I realize there are limits to what we can do with an iPhone, but is there any hope?
rach

Re: More filters (and Mother Jones)?

Post by rach »

Hey jhaber3,

Thanks for reaching out to us.
Could you send us screenshots of those ads?
Hope to be able to help.
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

Want to say, here we go. (I learned in the process how to do a screen shot on an iPhone, where I don't have a Ctrl-PrtSc! Not that I enjoyed dragging myself through seeing this image as I worked and then resaved as jpg.) But I'm having trouble seeing how to add an attachment. Help?
mapx

Post by mapx »

upload the image to imgur.com, post here the link
rach

Post by rach »

hey jhaber3!

You need to use an image hoster like imgur.com for example.
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

Oh, ok. It's temporarily on my website, at this URL:

http://www.haberarts.com/MJscreen.jpg

but I hope you can download it soon, so that I can delete it. I don't want it there. Let me know. Of course, you're not seeing the precise URL of the MJ blog posts in a screen shot, as Safari for iPhones is designed to stick to the domain root name. A blog post like the one from which I did a screen capture would have a title like, in this case,

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2 ... ay-evening
rach

Post by rach »

Hey jhaber3,

Thanks for the info.
We could not reproduce this issue. :(
When was the last time you updated your filters?
Could you try to update it and see if it still occurs?
If it does then could you send us the iOS version, phone model and if you have AA enabled or not.
Cheers,
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

I can't find an option specifically to update filters. (In iPhone settings for AdBlock, I see only Background App Refresh and Cellar Data, both turned on. (Background App Refresh is also turned on under settings for General, Background App Refresh where there's an entry for AdBlock.) However, I did look for updates in the App Store app and carried one through after I saw the problem and before posting here. As I look in the App Store now, no available update is listed.

The iPhone is only a couple of months old and was the latest version of the small size at that time, an iPhone 6. In settings for General, About it shows model MG4N2LL/A, running version 9.3.3. I see that 9.3.4 is available and will update in a moment, but hard to imagine an update that small it matters.

I don't know what AA is. if it's anti-aliasing, that's about screen resolution and isn't built into the iPhone, no? So let me know what I can do to help you. I'm lost.
mapx

Post by mapx »

AA = acceptable ads ("allow some no intrusive advertising")
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

Thanks. So how do I do that? As I say, I can't find any specifics on settings beyond background refresh or any specific filter updates. I also haven't had any luck in finding more settings by Googling for installing AdBlock. I've of course also verified under settings for Safari, Content Blockers that AdBlock Plus is on.

I tried Googling again (iphone adblock allow nonintrusive) without getting any more clues. Of course, on my laptop (Windows 10, Firefox), the browser displays an ABP icon at top right, and there I see that "allow nonintrusive advertising" is unchecked, and there I can quickly update filters. (I did so just now, and it took all of half a second.) But I don't see that on the phone. Maybe you're working in iOS on something closer to a computer, like a tablet?

As expected the OS update to 9.3.4 didn't change anything.
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

Of course, please do let me know if I can adjust settings for such things as AA and updated filters. (Wish I knew how Mother Jones gets around filters more than others, but I realize that may be too much to ask.) Thank you!
rach

Post by rach »

Hey jhaber3!

You will need to launch the app and within the app are the options to update the filter lists, enable disable AA ..
Let us know if it works.

Cheers,
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

Thanks much. Oops, don't know how I missed those options, but I'd forgotten that I could launch the app separately. So I did so. Turns out I'd already set allowing AA to off, but I did just update filter lists. I then powered the phone down and restarted just to be sure things have taken hold. I also turned AdBlock as content blocker off in Safari settings and then turned it back on and waited a minute.

Looks like I'm still seeing ads after clicking on the title of a Mother Jones blog post (although not on the page for one post after another), where you can then see comments. The ads are headed as "you may like," but they have that same 2 x 2 grid of choices, here including a 0% financing credit card and custom engagement rings, so still ads and ugly as sin. A few lines above that grid is a banner to earn a degree from ASU in Arizona.
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

Obviously nothing is helping. In fact, it got worse. On my iPhone, an ad has now entered not just on clicking on a blog post title to go to that specific post and its comments, but on Kevin Drum's blog page overall.

In case it would help figure this out, I went to the site on my laptop (Windows with Firefox), where of course we've more options when we go to the ABP red icon at top left on the browser's main bar (after URL, search space, and home icon). I clicked on "Disable on Mother Jones," where of course the drop-down menu automatically adds the name of the current page (in this case Mother Jones) to "Disable on." Then I reloaded. I hoped that I'd then see the same ad, could right click on it to bring up an option to block it, and so see what filter is required.

Alas, while I saw plenty of ads, they're different ads than on the phone. Not tacky jewelry and education, but mostly political ads. And of course they went away again when I clicked again on Disable to remove the check mark, then reloaded once more. So I don't have much further info to give you, other than that the site's version for mobile is different enough that you should be sure to try to recreate the issue only there.
rach

Post by rach »

Hey jhaber3!

Unfortunately the iOS filter list system at the moment is very different and not so fantastic at the moment. We are working on getting some fixes out to the list as soon as possible to resolve a lot of other issues we are having. I can´t guarantee that this will fix that, but because I can´t overly reproduce your issue either, I don´t really know what else to suggest.
Maybe you could give Adblock Browser a try :) ? Its got many cool features. If you are not willing to try out Adblock Browser for iOS at all you should write back to us after the new release of ABP for iOS filter list fix if the problem still occurs.

Cheers,