iPad says Ap is incompatible with my device

Everything about using Adblock Plus on iOS
Hels

iPad says Ap is incompatible with my device

Post by Hels »

I have an iPad with IOS9.3 and I cannot download any adblocker Ap - I just get this incompatible message every time - help!
rach

Re: iPad says Ap is incompatible with my device

Post by rach »

Hey Hels!

Thanks for reaching out to us.
ABP app for Safari works only on newer devices with iOS 9 and 64 bit memory. What iPad do you have?
See more here: forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=44934
vimmetlop

Post by vimmetlop »

I am also facing the same problem in my ipad too. an i don't know how to solve it.anyway, i have hope, we can find a solution from here and please anyone share the correct information to solve the problem.
30blw

Post by 30blw »

I have the same problem running iOS version 9.3.2. Please reply.
smed79

Post by smed79 »

30blw wrote:I have the same problem running iOS version 9.3.2. Please reply.
Adblock Plus app for Safari works only on iPhone 5s and newer devices with iOS 9 and 64 bit memory.
30blw

Post by 30blw »

smed79 wrote:
Adblock Plus app for Safari works only on iPhone 5s and newer devices with iOS 9 and 64 bit memory.

Reiterating, I am running iOS version 9.3.2 on a "newer" iPad and on a iPhone 5C. This is not operator error.

If I cannot use this app for whatever reason, I will stop trying to install it.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

30blw wrote:
smed79 wrote:
Reiterating, I am running iOS version 9.3.2 on a "newer" iPad and on a iPhone 5C. This is not operator error.
Unfortunately, there is no way to tell the App Store to only show the app to 64-bit devices (the only distinctions are by major iOS version and by iPad vs. iPod/iPhone), so if you are running a 32-bit iOS device with iOS9+, you will see the app in the store and even obtain it, but installation will fail.

With that said, the only iPhones that are 64-bit are iPhone 5S and all models of the iPhone 6 and later; the only 64-bit iPod Touch is 6th generation or later; the only 64-bit iPads are the Mini 2 and later and all Air and Pro models (in particular, the iPad 4 and earlier are 32-bit).

The following iOS devices support iOS 9 but are not 64-bit: iPad Mini, iPad 2-4, iPod Touch 5th generation (both with and without rear camera), and iPhone 4S, 5, and 5C.

---
I'll admit, "and newer" was a bit inaccurate, because the 5C came out a bit after the 5S if I remember correctly, but it has similar specs to the 5; also, "64-bit" is a property of the CPU, not of memory (it's also a property of various system buses, but usually by "64-bit device" we mean a device with a CPU that has a 64-bit word-size), so smed79 may have confused you there too.
Last edited by lewisje on Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Pluser

Post by Pluser »

Then why does it says that it's compatible with iPhone 4S in a description on the Appstore? I have iPhone 4S with iOS 9.3.3 and I get "incompatible device" message when trying to install.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Pluser wrote:Then why does it says that it's compatible with iPhone 4S in a description on the Appstore? I have iPhone 4S with iOS 9.3.3 and I get "incompatible device" message when trying to install.
lewisje wrote:there is no way to tell the App Store to only show the app to 64-bit devices
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
dshchurov

Post by dshchurov »

So, please remove "Compatible with iPad mini", because it is not. iPad mini 64x might have a different name.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

It's not compatible with the original iPad Mini, but it is compatible with the Mini 2 and later; still, they can't block App Store users by specific device, just by device class (like iPad vs. iPhone/iPod) and by iOS version.

Also, if I had any control over the text that is shown in the App Store listing, I would indicate that among other things, the original iPad Mini cannot run the ABP app.
john21wall

Post by john21wall »

I have Weblock, which is running on my iPod touch 5 with iOS 9

Can't recall if it is paid or was free, or if they have a trial, but it works.

it does work by running your connection through a proxy that blocks the ad servers, and some hotspots will not allow that, so you may want to consider that if you decide to try it
jamephan2009

Post by jamephan2009 »

Hels wrote:I have an iPad with IOS9.3 and I cannot download any adblocker Ap - I just get this incompatible message every time - help!
ABP app for Safari works only on newer devices with iOS 9 and 64 bit memory
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

john21wall wrote:I have Weblock, which is running on my iPod touch 5 with iOS 9

Can't recall if it is paid or was free, or if they have a trial, but it works.

it does work by running your connection through a proxy that blocks the ad servers, and some hotspots will not allow that, so you may want to consider that if you decide to try it
Weblock is a one-time payment, and it allows you to set up a custom Proxy-Autoconfig file that you can use with other devices too; the developer of that app, FutureMind, also makes a FakeVPN-style adblocker called Adblock, which is also a one-time payment.
skullboy

Post by skullboy »

Thanks a lot for all this helpful tips and suggestion, that means am gonna upgrade my iPad to the latest version and stop worrying about compatibility issue.