Can't change browser file download location

Everything about using Adblock Browser on Android
kaypengwin

Can't change browser file download location

Post by kaypengwin »

Supposedly the ABP browser can change where files download, but the default location should be the Android Downloads folder. Neither of these things have been true for me.

On my phone (Google Pixel 3a) it's been downloading all files to its internal app data folder. Obviously this is a problem because most photo apps ignore those folders, and apparently they get deleted regularly?? So any file I download needs to be navigated to via a file management app (the path is something like: Android/media/org.adblockplus/Downloads) and copied into the actual downloads folder in order for them to stick around and be accessible. And since the new Android update, the save location seems to be changed, so I haven't even found the new path yet.

Everything I've found online so far has simply said "ABP is based on Firefox so follow Firefox's documentation" (see here). And the Firefox documentation says that the Downloads location can be changed in settings, but the app gives me no option to change it. Long pressing on the Downloads location only shows me the storage capacity of that location.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Edit:
Added screenshots. It seems like there might be a discrepancy between where ABP thinks its saving the files and where they go? Or maybe a permissions issue where it tries to download them to the correct folder and can't?

The Downloads settings: https://ibb.co/Kwb29L2
The path for a recently downloaded file: https://ibb.co/dDcLt55
kutt

Re: Can't change browser file download location

Post by kutt »

I can confirm this..

Samsung Tab A 2019 with Android 10.

I choose Downloads in internal Memory and it tells me "SD Card not found"
I choose SD card and it saves the file there .. Folder: /storage/0000-0000/Android/data/org.adblockplus.browser/files/Download
kaypengwin

Post by kaypengwin »

I noticed that while I still can't change the download destination, something must have changed because downloads are going to the correct folder now (ie, not the app folder).
Not sure if this came with an Android update or a AdblockPlus one, but I'll take it.
Thismachine

Post by Thismachine »

Necroing this post. I have the same issue, but recent updates seem to have caused it, rather than fix it for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
kutt

Post by kutt »

Well, on my part the Problem never went away. There were several updates, but the problem still persists :/

Was hoping some developer may jump in this topic. I can try to help getting to the bottom of this issue. It's really annoying :(
kaypengwin

Post by kaypengwin »

If it's any use, my versions of ABP and android are:

Adblock Browser 2.4.0; Chromium 80.0.3987.132
Android 11; Pixel 3a build/RP1a.201105.002

(mine's the setup that went from not working to working after something updated)
kutt

Post by kutt »

I got the issue since I installed Adblock Browser. Maybe it's since Android 10?
Samsung Tab A, Model 2019 here. All updates are the latest.

I got a 256GB SD card installed. Maybe it's too big for the Browser and it tells me, that the card can't be found when I try to use the internal memory? I have no clue ...
andreas_abb

Post by andreas_abb »

There is good news and bad news on this topic.
The good news: we have found a solution for the problem.
The bad news: The chromium version that fixed that issue was too unstable to release it. We're skipping that version and you'll need a bit more patience until we can release a version with a fix for this bug and a stable performance. Look out for new updates in January/February.
omarmallat

Post by omarmallat »

Do we have any solution? I have Pixel 6 Pro, and regardless of the download settings pointing to generic downloads folder, and the switch for always asking where to save, the files are being downloaded automatically, without asking, to the internal data folder!
Last response was in 2020 and we're now in 2022.
Cher Man

Post by Cher Man »

We are on June 2022, over 2 years since the last answer about this bug,
and still this browser cant change a simple download path...awkward!
It simply renders the browser useless since we cannot download a damn with it!
Sorry guys, i really like your ABP FF plugin and i use it since version 1 thru nowadays,
but the Android browser is unusable, so I'm gonna look for alternatives!