Home Screen shortcuts don't work if the browser is running

Everything about using Adblock Browser on Android
enzom

Home Screen shortcuts don't work if the browser is running

Post by enzom »

If the browser is already open (in the background) on another page, touching a Home Screen shortcut (saved through the Options dialog offered after bookmarking a different page) does not bring up the target as expected, but a blank page with the old URL shown in the address field.

Also, it would be nice to be able to add a bookmark to a Home Screen after editing it. At present, the post-bookmarking options are mutually exclusive: if one chooses "Edit", there is no chance to select "Add to Home Screen" after completing the edit.

I'm referring to Adblock Browser for Android v. 1.1.0.20151110114827 .
rach

Re: Home Screen shortcuts don't work if the browser is running

Post by rach »

Hi enzom!

Thanks for reaching out to us and for your suggestions. We will keep that in mind for future improvements :)
Could you please give more details on what you mean by bringing up the "target as expected"?
It would be helpful if you could send us screenshots and also tell us your device and Android version. You need to use an image hoster like imgur.com for example.
Hope to be able to support you with that soon.

All the best,
paulieg

Post by paulieg »

Adblock Browser has a feature that allows you to save a shortcut to the current page to your home screen. The expected behaviour when you tap on this shortcut is for Adblock Browser to become visible and load the url the shortcut was made to. If Adblock Browser is not running, this is exactly what happens - it starts and loads the page in question. However, if it is already running in the background, if you use the shortcut Adblock Browser becomes visible but no navigation takes place. It would be logical for it to open a new tab and navigate to the url in question or, if worse comes to worse, navigate to it in the current tab. It does neither. There's no need for screenshots - it's trivially reproducible inside of two minutes. 6.0.1 AOSP, but it's unlikely to be android version dependent.
rach

Post by rach »

Hey paulieg!

Thanks for the information.
This is an issue. Is it possible that you file an issue for us? ==> https://issues.adblockplus.org
Let us know. And hope to have that solved very soon.

Cheers,
guest273

Post by guest273 »

You people posses the knowledge i seek!

So I've been trying to "add to home screen" a YouTube playlist on the AdBlock plus web browser on my phone for 2 hours now. The "add to home screen" button doesn't F*ing do anything!!! I've updated the app, uninstalled and reinstalled it and still nothing! I know this is possible to do, I did it on my old phone, why is it not possible on my new phone!?!?