allow some non-intrusive advertising enabled by default

Place to exchange experience about rolling out Adblock Plus to many computers, preconfiguring the extension etc.
ecolint

allow some non-intrusive advertising enabled by default

Post by ecolint »

Dear all,

With the latest Adblock Plus version (2.6.9) running on Firefox 37.0, the "allow some non-intrusive advertising" is enabled by default. I'd like to know how can I disable it by default when I deploy FF+Adblock Plus in large scale deployments, please.

Thanks,
lewisje

Re: allow some non-intrusive advertising enabled by default

Post by lewisje »

I don't know whether this will help, but you can set the preference "extensions.adblockplus.subscriptions_exceptionscheckbox" to false

and regardless of that, if you're able to bundle custom patterns.ini files, bundle one in which the Acceptable Ads subscription is disabled; I think this stub would suffice:

Code: Select all

# Adblock Plus preferences
version=4
[Subscription]
url=https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/exceptionrules.txt
title=Allow non-intrusive advertising
fixedTitle=true
disabled=true
downloadStatus=synchronize_ok
requiredVersion=2.0
I'm thinking that this will lead the browser to have info. about this subscription loaded but also consider it disabled; add info. about other subscriptions to pre-subscribe to, as necessary.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
ecolint

Post by ecolint »

Hi,

Thank you very much for your help.

I've tried to include this subscription section into my Patterns.ini and when I check the result, in fact, it seems to enable the setting instead of disable it.

Any idea why?
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Do you mean that the subscription shows up as enabled, even though in this patterns.ini file it was listed as "disabled"?

Maybe the stub should be pre-loaded with a valid filter-list (the current version of Acceptable Ads? maybe just a stub with a proper checksum?), so that ABP doesn't just disregard that section and replace it with an enabled Acceptable Ads whitelist.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
ecolint

Post by ecolint »

It's exactly what I mean. The setting is disabled but the filter is enabled.

If I disable the filter before changing the patterns file then put the section in the patterns.ini with the setting disabled, the filter change to enabled in FF. Then when I remove again the section, in my FF the setting is disabled again. Very strange.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

ecolint wrote:With the latest Adblock Plus version (2.6.9) running on Firefox 37.0, the "allow some non-intrusive advertising" is enabled by default.
It's always been enabled by default.
en/acceptable-ads#default
ecolint wrote:I'd like to know how can I disable it by default when I deploy FF+Adblock Plus in large scale deployments, please.
The patterns.ini file is the only place where subscription status is stored (enabled or disabled). Make the desired changes on one computer or user account, then copy the resulting patterns.ini file to the other systems or user accounts. To find the file in the (user-specific) Firefox profile you're currently using,
  1. Type about:support in the address bar and press Enter.
  2. Click the “Show Folder” button (this may be labeled differently if you're not using Windows).
  3. In the file manager window that opened, open the adblockplus folder. You can find the patterns.ini file there. Do not copy or overwrite the file while Firefox is running.
lewisje wrote:I don't know whether this will help, but you can set the preference "extensions.adblockplus.subscriptions_exceptionscheckbox" to false
That controls whether you see the “Allow some non-intrusive advertising” checkbox, or the subscription appears as a regular filter list. It doesn't affect whether the list is enabled.
en/preferences
ecolint

Post by ecolint »

It seems to work pretty well.

Thanks,