Deploy Adblock Plus for Chrome

Place to exchange experience about rolling out Adblock Plus to many computers, preconfiguring the extension etc.
ecolint

Deploy Adblock Plus for Chrome

Post by ecolint »

There all,

I have been able to deploy Adblock Plus for Chrome to all computers by GPO using the "Extension IDs and update URLs to be silently installed" policy.

I have two question:

1) how to bypass/disable/hide/avoid the "chrome-extension://cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb/firstRun.html" first run page?
2) how to preset default settings for all users like enable "Malware Blocking" ; enable "Disable Tracking" ; disable "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" ; etc?

About my first question, having done some searches before posting my question, I found something about modifying the background.js file. But the problem with that is: how can you do that if the default profile doesn't exist until the user open Chrome at least one time? And once he runs Chrome for the first time and the background.js file is created, it's too late, the Adblock Plus first run page has been launched already. So I guess I have missed something in the explanation.

Thank you in advance to help me to figure out.
simona

Re: Deploy Adblock Plus for Chrome

Post by simona »

Please check this discussion:

forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=21793
ecolint

Post by ecolint »

Good morning,

Thank you simona for your answer.

I found that:
Step 1. Download the latest .crx Chrome development build on en/development-builds
Step 2. Unzip the .crx, and remove the following line in background.js:
win.openTab(ext.getURL("firstRun.html"));
Step 3. Then pack your modified app (look at "Step 3" here), and install it in Chrome.
The problem with that solution is that you need to install manually the modified package in Chrome. I need a solution for large scale unattended deployment.
mapx

Post by mapx »

Suppressing the first-run page on Chrome ==> development-builds/suppressing-the-firs ... -on-chrome