How to silently enable the add-on in IE11?

Place to exchange experience about rolling out Adblock Plus to many computers, preconfiguring the extension etc.
paul.r

How to silently enable the add-on in IE11?

Post by paul.r »

Hi everyone

I would like to silently deploy the latest Adblock Plus on all our PCs (Windows 7, IE11) in our domain. Our users should not notice anything. Once installed, the add-on should be enabled in IE automatically.

What I usually do is the following:
1) I set the IgnoreFrameApprovalCheck registry key to 1 to make sure the add-on is automatically enabled in IE.
2) I copy a sample prefs.json and patterns.ini to the AppData\LocalLow\Adblock Plus for IE\ to hide the first run page.
3) I silently deploy the Adblock Plus msi file.

This works well. The only problem I have is regarding the IgnoreFrameApprovalCheck registry key. Ideally I would like to disable this feature once Adblock Plus has been installed/enabled as I don't want all IE add-ons to be enabled automatically. However, once I set IgnoreFrameApprovalCheck back to 0, our users still get a popup for Adblock Plus the next time IE is opened, asking them whether or not they would like to enable the add-on, even though it has already been enabled before.

I am not sure how to prevent this from happening? How does everyone else deploy and enable this add-on? Is there a better way? Any comments would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Paul
doodwala

Re: How to silently enable the add-on in IE11?

Post by doodwala »

I believe you should be able to use group policy to enable that particular add-in within your environment.
paul.r wrote:Hi everyone

I would like to silently deploy the latest Adblock Plus on all our PCs (Windows 7, IE11) in our domain. Our users should not notice anything. Once installed, the add-on should be enabled in IE automatically.

What I usually do is the following:
1) I set the IgnoreFrameApprovalCheck registry key to 1 to make sure the add-on is automatically enabled in IE.
2) I copy a sample prefs.json and patterns.ini to the AppData\LocalLow\Adblock Plus for IE\ to hide the first run page.
3) I silently deploy the Adblock Plus msi file.

This works well. The only problem I have is regarding the IgnoreFrameApprovalCheck registry key. Ideally I would like to disable this feature once Adblock Plus has been installed/enabled as I don't want all IE add-ons to be enabled automatically. However, once I set IgnoreFrameApprovalCheck back to 0, our users still get a popup for Adblock Plus the next time IE is opened, asking them whether or not they would like to enable the add-on, even though it has already been enabled before.

I am not sure how to prevent this from happening? How does everyone else deploy and enable this add-on? Is there a better way? Any comments would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Paul
paul.r

Post by paul.r »

This is how it works properly:

1) Create a group policy and configure User Configuration/Policies/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Security Features/Add-on Management/Add-on List as follows:
Value name: {FFCB3198-32F3-4E8B-9539-4324694ED664}
Value: 1

2) Copy a sample prefs.json and patterns.ini to the AppData\LocalLow\Adblock Plus for IE\ to hide the first run page.
3) Silently deploy the Adblock Plus msi file.

Step 1 also ensures that IE does not show the popup where it asks whether or not you would like to enable the add-on, hence IgnoreFrameApprovalCheck is obsolete.
waleed836

Post by waleed836 »