ABP and FFX deployment

Place to exchange experience about rolling out Adblock Plus to many computers, preconfiguring the extension etc.
Darknoon

ABP and FFX deployment

Post by Darknoon »

Hi ! :)
There was a long time i didn't update adblock and firefox. All before was ok when i put adblock IDfolder in "%programfiles%/Mozilla Firefox/distribution/bundle" folder (Need to do this). With the last version of ABP and FFX 24 it's not working, ABP doesn't launch.
Any Idea ?

Thx
Gingerbread Man

Re: ABP and FFX deployment

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Hello,

I've never heard of a …/distribution/bundle subfolder. The correct folder for installing extensions globally is <installation folder>\browser\extensions
Additionally, the add-on file name must be the same as the add-on ID. In the case of Adblock Plus, the file must be named {d10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-a8b2-2b9879e08c5d}.xpi

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add ... extensions
Darknoon

Post by Darknoon »

/Distribution/bundle is the Global Extension Folder for mass deployment. No need User Validation to install xpi and extensions are hidden in the extension manager. I use this since FFX 17... ;)
All my extensions are ok (CCK, Ietab 2, etc.) except Adblock Plus. :/

Found a link :

http://mike.kaply.com/2012/02/09/integr ... o-firefox/
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Mike Kaply wrote:Important Notes: If it is a restartless add-on or an SDK add-on or if the add-on depends on the AddonManager API, this method will NOT work.
Adblock Plus is a restartless add-on.
Darknoon

Post by Darknoon »

D'oh ....
I had the answer under my eyes ... This is a bad news for us.
Thx GingerBread Man
Darknoon

Post by Darknoon »

I've found a workaround to install ABP silently.
- Create a mozilla.cfg in the c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox folder :
//comment
pref("extensions.autoDisableScopes", 0);
pref("extensions.enabledScopes", 15);
pref("extensions.shownSelectionUI", true);
- Create a local-settings.js in the c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\pref :
// comment
pref('general.config.obscure_value', 0);
pref("general.config.filename", "mozilla.cfg");
- extract the {d10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-a8b2-2b9879e08c5d}.xpi found in the user profile after installation in the c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\browser\extensions folder.
- Modify the default prefs for ABP (c:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\browser\extensions\ {d10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-a8b2-2b9879e08c5d}\defaults\prefs.js :
ex. Changing the path of patterns : pref("extensions.adblockplus.patternsfile", "C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox\\Adblockplus\\patterns.ini");
(with double \\)
- Add a locked value (with cck in my case) in firefox to fix the version of ABP and avoid the firsttimerun tab : extensions.adblockplus.currentVersion

:)
ecolint

Post by ecolint »

Dear all,

This seems to not work anymore, at least on my side.

In my Mozilla.cfg I added:
pref("extensions.adblockplus.patternsfile", "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Mozilla Firefox\\distribution\\patterns\\patterns.ini");

But the Adblock Plus Filter Subscriptions on my Firefox remains empty...

anyone knows how to debug please?
ecolint

Post by ecolint »

Dear all,

I've just followed the steps mentioned there: en/faq_install

And it works for me.
FR6

Post by FR6 »

Hi, what did you do exactly to achieve your goal ?
I have the same needs, defined extensions.adblockplus.patternsfile and.... too, the list remains empty

Thx
ecolint

Post by ecolint »

Hello,

What I did :

1) download the extension
2) unzip the extension
3) edit file prefs.js
4) add this line :
pref("extensions.adblockplus.patternsfile", "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Mozilla Firefox\\distribution\\patterns\\Adblock Plus\\patterns.ini");
--> for the patterns.ini, setup your firefox ABP then copy the file from your roaming mozilla profile to clients, in my case : C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\distribution\patterns\Adblock Plus\patterns.ini
5) copy the extension folder modified to clients, in my case : C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\distribution\extensions\{d10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-a8b2-2b9879e08c5d}

That's all

Hope this help
FR6

Post by FR6 »

Ooops, i was editing directly the param in about:config thinking it would do the job....
Customising the extension works far much better !
Thanks a lot !
FR6

Post by FR6 »

Hi again,

i confirm that it works like a charm but...... the addon has now been updated automatically to 2.6.10 and it's no longer working as expected. It seems that pattern file take in account is the one by default located in %appdata%\mozilla\firefox\profilexxxx\adblockplus.
Have you experienced the same issue ? How did you manage to fix it ?

Thanks a lot
FR6
ecolint

Post by ecolint »

Hi,

What I noticed is that the update replace the folder {d10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-a8b2-2b9879e08c5d} located in "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxx.default\extensions" by the file {d10d0bf8-f5b5-c8b4-a8b2-2b9879e08c5d}.xpi.

That process removes our modified prefs.js file.

I extracted the new prefs.js and it is completely different that the old one.

Please find here an official response to that issue:
https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/2860