Disable Automatic Updates

Place to exchange experience about rolling out Adblock Plus to many computers, preconfiguring the extension etc.
McFa

Disable Automatic Updates

Post by McFa »

I don't know how to disable automatic updates of Adblock Plus. Can somenone tell me how to do please???
p_hill

Re: Disable Automatic Updates

Post by p_hill »

I rather wonder, what the reason is that you want/need to do so?
McFa

Post by McFa »

Because I am working in a school and i have over 700 computers that I have installed Adblock Plus. We also use Deep Freeze and the computer are in Frozen State so the update is always asking for......
p_hill

Post by p_hill »

We have been approached by various people reporting issues when attempting to install Adblock Plus on multiple devices all at once, using configuration management or similar software. In order to support administrators, we have launched the Large Scale Deployments project. This is still in an early state where we try to gather as much information as possible.

Thus, I'd like to ask you to briefly describe the environment (amount and variety of operating systems, browsers and users) and the roll-out mechanism you've applied (what worked out-of-the-box, which workarounds where required - if any). In your case, I am especially interested in which kind of images and distribution channels (e.g. network-based or even manual installation) you've used.
In general, these questions are interesting to us:

- Do you remember any issues regarding ABP, like missing features or
lack of integration comfort, beside the ones you've mentioned already?
- How do you distribute system images? (e.g. PXE, manual installation, etc)
- Have you been receiving any user-feedback after including Adblock
Plus in the installation?
Thank you in advance!

To answer your specific question, I filed a post on how to disable the first run page as well as blocking update requests in our new mass deployment subthread: forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24600

If you need more help for integrating Adblock Plus in your infrastructure, please let us know. If you need to keep this confidential, you may also reach out to us via deployment-support@adblockplus.org