forbes image

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
MOB

Re: forbes image

Post by MOB »

Okay sir,

I did what you requested, by only enabling the Easylist filter (disabled the rest plus my own custom filters -- even the ones from Element Hiding Rules) still caused the webpage to block me because I have ABP.

I've sent you the link to your PM inbox.

I hope that helps in some way.

Wishlist: I wish the custom filters could have a check all or uncheck all to quickly enable them all or disable them. Had to painstakingly check each one. I guess the work around is to back them up then remove them. Then restore them.
mapx

Post by mapx »

I don't see any of the my filters above in your report. Did you enable them while submitting the issue report ?
You can create a new group of filters for forbes and then disable / enable it (check / uncheck the group)

Try also clearing the cookies for forbes any test you do.
Disable also YesScript during your tests.
MOB

Post by MOB »

mapx wrote:I don't see any of the my filters above in your report. Did you enable them while submitting the issue report ?
You can create a new group of filters for forbes and then disable / enable it (check / uncheck the group)

Try also clearing the cookies for forbes any test you do.
Disable also YesScript during your tests.
Ah, okay, sorry about that. I missed the part of leaving the forbes filters active -- I assumed it was already added to the Easylist filter.

It worked. I disabled YesScript and cleared the cookies for Forbes and ran only the Easy list and the forbes filters and now I can see the forbes page.

So, what could be getting in the way? Any idea?

My guess I could try enabling each filter group (at a time) and also the YesScript and refresh the page until I find the culprit, right?
mapx

Post by mapx »

yes, you can add the others lists and see if still is working fine. The same with YesScript (eventually you have to whitelist forbes in YesScript)
MOB

Post by MOB »

That's odd. I just went through each filter group and enabling them -- including my own filters plus the YesScript plugin. Cleared the cookies for Forbes each time I enabled, and I didn't get blocked.

So I am back on square one, but this time your filters are working okay. Perhaps my mistake early on is that I didn't clear the forbes cookies or something? Unless the current filters recently updated and added a new filter to block? I dunno?

I'll keep monitoring the forbes site each day and will report if I start getting blocked. Thanks again for the help.

The YesScript is a very light version compared to the other known version -- that is confusing to calibrate. It only has enable and disable for the site--by default it is disabled (not blocking). See more details here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... t/?src=api
MOB

Post by MOB »

Seems that the problem returned. It seems to be a hit and miss. Sometimes I get through, other times, I get the block telling me to disable ABP.

I suggest for you to add the filters I've listed and test the site more than once per day. You might find the issue. I wish I could find the script that detects ABP on that site.

Here is the URL I am using to test this:

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/
MOB

Post by MOB »

A little update to the Forbes issue.

Well it seems that Forbes is up to no good. I've been reading on Forbes on how they are doing some really bad stuff with their ads with malware -- see this link and if you Google you may find some very recent blogs about it. Click Here

When you go to this link: http://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/ -- while it blocks you because you are using ABP -- it still does the following:

Your cookie inbox will be filled up with some very nasty tracking cookies. Most of them were detected by SUPERAntiSpyware (SAS).

You can test this on your own, but clearing all your cookies in Firefox. Then go to that URL for forbes, and see the cookie inbox fill up rather quickly.

Here was my detection from (SAS).

Code: Select all

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 01/13/2016 at 03:22 PM

Application Version : 6.0.1210
Database Version : 12315

Scan type       : Quick Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:01:01

Operating System Information
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Service Pack 1 (Build 6.01.7601)
UAC On - Limited User

Memory items scanned      : 678
Memory threats detected   : 0
Registry items scanned    : 56742
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned        : 8026
File threats detected     : 57

Adware.Tracking Cookie
	.casalemedia.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.casalemedia.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.exelator.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.doubleclick.net [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	ox-d.forbesbidder.servedbyopenx.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	ox-d.medianet.servedbyopenx.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.gwallet.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	match.rundsp.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.adsrvr.org [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.adsrvr.org [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.tapad.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.tapad.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.scorecardresearch.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.scorecardresearch.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.webspectator.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.chango.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.rhythmxchange.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.sitescout.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.chango.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.tubemogul.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.adadvisor.net [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.bluekai.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.bluekai.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.media.net [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.at.atwola.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.rfihub.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.everesttech.net [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.everesttech.net [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.openx.net [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.doubleclick.net [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.mxptint.net [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.openx.net [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.ml314.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.gwallet.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.turn.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.turn.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.rfihub.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.adnxs.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.sitescout.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.ml314.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.audienceiq.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.mathtag.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.adnxs.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.mathtag.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.visualdna.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.visualdna.com [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.media.net [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
	.w55c.net [ C:\USERS\~\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\RNMZU7MC.DEFAULT-~\COOKIES.SQLITE ]

============
 End of Log 
============
Perhaps next time these types of website will ask the user to disable their anti-virus apps since they feel your PC is way too clean for their taste. :)
Last edited by MOB on Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
MOB

Post by MOB »

2nd Update:

Hey we are getting somewhere. I went into Firefox Privacy and set Accept Cookies from Third Party Sites to NEVER. That must have triggered something with Forbes because ABP wasn't blocked. And the cookie inbox wasn't filled up with their malware cookies.

Perhaps one of those cookies sites -- I listed above that SAS detected, may be the culprit? Perhaps it senses that one of those sites is being blocked by ABP and triggers the block to ABP. I hope that helps. :D
secretsauce

Post by secretsauce »

Thanks for posting, confirmed it works today (22Feb16). This detection of adblock is a really annoying development.
OlderWiserRetired

Post by OlderWiserRetired »

Thanks mapx! That code for Forbe's worked. I came to this website after ABP got blocked at Forbe's, while doing my civic duty researching the candidates after their boisterous debate last night. Now, unblocked. :D The rich and powerful made humble by a few bytes (bites) of code. I love it!
Again, thank you ABP and mapx.
ashneo

Post by ashneo »

i know this is old topic if you want a fast way to check a link or something on forbes open three-four tabs. the 3rd or 4th tab will load with no ads i found this just trying to find a way past this annoying thing. but so are ads
Reporter

Post by Reporter »

I posted about forbes before and the filters worked, but i had to use them all, find my thread and add all filters
mapx

Post by mapx »

Code: Select all

@@||forbes.com^$generichide
@@||forbes.com^$genericblock
||moatads.com^$domain=forbes.com
||sharethrough.com^$domain=forbes.com
||amazon-adsystem.com^$domain=forbes.com
||tpc.googlesyndication.com^$domain=forbes.com
||googleads.g.doubleclick.net^$domain=forbes.com
||s0.2mdn.net^$domain=forbes.com
forbes.com##[id^="google_ads_iframe"]
forbes.com##[id^="top-ad"]
||securepubads.g.doubleclick.net^$domain=forbes.com
@@||securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/ads?gdfp_req=1&correlator=$domain=forbes.com
ncsercs

Post by ncsercs »

mapx, just tried it - works like a charm. thanks! :D
dagnyg

Post by dagnyg »

I get the following error when I try to add this filter:

The following filter:
@@||forbes.com^$generichide
has an error:
Unknown option 'generichide' in filter '@@||forbes.com^$generichide'