Why can't ABP "learn" anymore ??

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Safari
Tipit008

Why can't ABP "learn" anymore ??

Post by Tipit008 »

I've just watched a video on how to block annoying overlay video previews at end of YouTube videos.

In this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Pnpx6LUA4 ), the person says to use the ABP "learn" function to blot out these overlays.

I remember my ABP having this function, in the past, but I can't find it anymore ?

Is it still there ??

How do I get ABP to remove these annoying overlays at the end of Youtube videos ???

Thanks for any info or help !

Marc
Last edited by Tipit008 on Thu May 07, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greiner
ABP Developer

Re: Why can't ABP "learn" anymore ??

Post by greiner »

The design of the icon popup has changed but the feature is still there and the button is still called "Block element" (see [7] in the image below).

Tipit008

Post by Tipit008 »

I don't know where you get this popup ??

Only popup I get is very small. It gives the web address (of ABP), says it is enabled on the site I'm currently browsing and has a button for the control panel.

And the Control panel does not have the "block element" function.

My current ABP version is 2.1.1 (29) and I'm running the latest Mac OS and Safari.

Marc
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

Sorry about that, I didn't notice that your question was specific to Safari. Unfortunately, Apple switched from supporting proper browser extensions to mere content blocking extensions which means that we can't offer the same features anymore as we used to and that we'll have to add them again wherever possible (see the respective release announcement).

That being said, that problem doesn't exist on Chrome, Firefox, Opera and other desktop browsers where you can continue to install full-fledged extensions.
Tipit008

Post by Tipit008 »

Ok, thanks.

That answers my question.

Guess I'll use another browser !

Marc
EvilTessmacher

Post by EvilTessmacher »

This doesn't work on YouTube (Firefox) at all. I have over 400 entries in the custom filter list, to hide those ^#$! preview overlays at the end of every video, and they still are there. After 15-20 clicks of the process to block overlays, I've just added over a dozen more to the list, and the overlays are still there.

Why isn't AdBlock doing anything to resolve this? Why isn't it working?

Using Firefox 106.0.1
AdBlock Plus 3.14.2

The one thing all these overlays have in common is they all start like this: ##.ytp-ce-element.ytp.ce" So why couldn't a "generic" block be written to eliminate all of them? Come on, I'm not a computer genius, but if I can think of that, why can't the people at ABP think of it and implement something that works?