[0.1] Whitelisted domains not working

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Safari
illusionmist

[0.1] Whitelisted domains not working

Post by illusionmist »

A few things I've noticed after a day of trying out:
  • ADP is still in effect on whitelisted domains.
  • Sometimes the badge doesn't show up and blocked numbers in popup doesn't get updated.
  • "Ads blocked on this page" always says 0.
  • The numbers on the badge, Mason! What does it mean? (Right now it's acting like "total ads blocked in this... window?" And then gets reset randomly.)
  • After selecting "Block element," if you wait a little while, the popover dismisses itself, and the toolbar button goes dead.
  • A way to access the options should be present in the Extensions panel. (Some devs just put a checkbox to open the page there. They don't like it either, I guess.)
mapx

Re: [0.1] Whitelisted domains not working

Post by mapx »

which build are you using ?
did you ask the last build from snoack (developer) ?
forum/viewtopic.php?p=90085#p90085
illusionmist

Post by illusionmist »

mapx wrote:which build are you using ?
did you ask the last build from snoack (developer) ?
forum/viewtopic.php?p=90085#p90085
0.1 as the title states, which your Twitter DM'ed me. I'll ask him for the newer build and test.
illusionmist

Post by illusionmist »

Got it. Regarding the previous report:
  • Sometimes the badge doesn't show up and blocked numbers in popup doesn't get updated.
  • [/color]
  • The numbers on the badge, Mason! What does it mean? => Shows numbers blocked on current page correctly, but most of the time doesn't update when switching tabs. Still glitchy.
  • After selecting "Block element," if you wait a little while, the popover dismisses itself, and the toolbar button goes dead. => Still there. This is a serious one IMO.
  • A way to access the options should be present in the Extensions panel. => Just a suggestion, but still.
  • New. When the popover pops up, the images are not visible at first and scrollbars appear momentarily. Screencast.
Other than these, as far as I'm concerned, the most important function, ad-blocking, seems to work flawlessly on my end. Looking forward to public release!
snoack

Post by snoack »

illusionmist wrote:
Should be fixed with the built, I sent you.
illusionmist wrote:
  • The numbers on the badge, Mason! What does it mean?
It's the number of ads blocked in the active tab. Should be the same as as shown in the popover.
illusionmist wrote:
  • After selecting "Block element," if you wait a little while, the popover dismisses itself, and the toolbar button goes dead. => Still there. This is a serious one IMO.
I can't reproduce that, or I just got you wrong. Could you provide a Screencast?
illusionmist wrote:
  • A way to access the options should be present in the Extensions panel. => Just a suggestion, but still.
Unfortunately you can't add links or buttons, to the extension settings panel. I could add a checkbox that will open the options page when toggled. But this would be an ugly hack. I think since we have a link to the options page in the popover, everybody will find it.
illusionmist wrote:
  • New. When the popover pops up, the images are not visible at first and scrollbars appear momentarily. Screencast.
This behavior isn't really new. But usually the popover is rendered fast enough that you don't note it. However some recent changes might have slowed down the rendering of the popover. I will let you know if I find a way to mitigate that issue.
illusionmist

Post by illusionmist »

snoack wrote: Should be fixed with the built, I sent you.
I greyed them out to show that. Should've just wrote fixed. Sorry :)
snoack wrote: It's the number of ads blocked in the active tab. Should be the same as as shown in the popover.
Yup they work now. But what I meant was they're glitchy sometimes (like won't update when switching tabs).
snoack wrote: I can't reproduce that, or I just got you wrong. Could you provide a Screencast?
Sure thing. Here it is.
snoack wrote: Unfortunately you can't add links or buttons, to the extension settings panel. I could add a checkbox that will open the options page when toggled. But this would be an ugly hack. I think since we have a link to the options page in the popover, everybody will find it.
Since I won't be keeping the button around, I'd want a way to access the options easily, though I agree it's ugly. Some (usually ported) extensions use the checkbox hack to open options too, I can only guess the built-in panel was too limited, or that extension developers want to retain consistency across browsers. All in all it's a trivial annoyance I can take. No biggie if you don't think it's a good idea.
snoack wrote: This behavior isn't really new. But usually the popover is rendered fast enough that you don't note it. However some recent changes might have slowed down the rendering of the popover. I will let you know if I find a way to mitigate that issue.
Tried out the new build you sent. Confirmed fixed!
snoack

Post by snoack »

illusionmist wrote:
snoack wrote:It's the number of ads blocked in the active tab. Should be the same as as shown in the popover.
Yup they work now. But what I meant was they're glitchy sometimes (like won't update when switching tabs).
Could you explain step by step (or provide a screencast) how to reproduce a case where the badge number doesn't update?
illusionmist wrote:
snoack wrote: I can't reproduce that, or I just got you wrong. Could you provide a Screencast?
Sure thing. Here it is.
Thanks. anon also reported that issue. I was able to reproduce it on Safari 6.0. However it doesn't happen on the older Safari 5.1. Also there is no javascript error (in background page, content page or popover). But Safari crashes with a segmentation fault short after that (at least on my Mac). So it really looks like a Safari bug. I will let you know when I know some more.
illusionmist wrote: Since I won't be keeping the button around, I'd want a way to access the options easily, though I agree it's ugly. Some (usually ported) extensions use the checkbox hack to open options too, I can only guess the built-in panel was too limited, or that extension developers want to retain consistency across browsers. All in all it's a trivial annoyance I can take. No biggie if you don't think it's a good idea.
It was actually a design decision to add an options link to the popover (we didn't had it there, before we started to port ABP to Safari), instead of using the checkbox hack in the settings panel. However we never considered that people might want to remove the ABP button from the toolbar. You won't be able to easily disable ABP for the current page, block elements with just a few clicks, or see the number of blocked ads, if you remove the button.

And yes, unlike on Firefox, the settings API on Safari is too limited to implement a decent options UI. Also we aim for a unified cross-browser UI and the options page is part of it. We want to maintain as less browser dependent code as possible. That also makes documentation and support easier, when you only have one UI to explain.
illusionmist

Post by illusionmist »

snoack wrote:
illusionmist wrote:
snoack wrote:It's the number of ads blocked in the active tab. Should be the same as as shown in the popover.
Could you explain step by step (or provide a screencast) how to reproduce a case where the badge number doesn't update?
OK... So it seems that they DO update when switching tabs, what happened was they sometimes don't reset when visiting new pages. Screencast
Notice how the badge number didn't reset first when going from The Verge to Engadget, it just added up. (Also recorded was a strange popover resizing behavior presumably only came with the latest build.)

EDIT: And sometimes it just gets stuck and won't change at all. I can only close that tab and open another to clear it and make it count again.
snoack

Post by snoack »

snoack wrote:
illusionmist wrote: Sure thing. Here it is.
Thanks. anon also reported that issue. I was able to reproduce it on Safari 6.0. However it doesn't happen on the older Safari 5.1. Also there is no javascript error (in background page, content page or popover). But Safari crashes with a segmentation fault short after that (at least on my Mac). So it really looks like a Safari bug. I will let you know when I know some more.
That has been fixed in the latest build. We used window.close() to dismiss the popover, after 5 seconds. While that works on Chrome, on Safari either it is ignored or leaves the extension in an unusable state, dependent on the version of Safari. Thanks to greiner for the fix.
illusionmist wrote:
snoack wrote:
illusionmist wrote: Yup they work now. But what I meant was they're glitchy sometimes (like won't update when switching tabs).
OK... So it seems that they DO update when switching tabs, what happened was they sometimes don't reset when visiting new pages. Screencast
Notice how the badge number didn't reset first when going from The Verge to Engadget, it just added up.
I can't reproduce that. If it still happens with my latest build, I need to know: Which Safari version are you using? Do you have added/removed the ABP button on the toolbar since you have started Safari? If yes, does it also happens when the ABP button is in the toolbar all the time since you started Safari? Is the number of ads blocked shown in the popover the same as in the badge on the icon?
illusionmist wrote:Also recorded was a strange popover resizing behavior presumably only came with the latest build.
That should be fixed in my latest build.
IoRobot

Post by IoRobot »

adblock does not block advertising on http://www.totaljerkface.com/happy_wheels.php
illusionmist

Post by illusionmist »

snoack wrote: That has been fixed in the latest build. We used window.close() to dismiss the popover, after 5 seconds. While that works on Chrome, on Safari either it is ignored or leaves the extension in an unusable state, dependent on the version of Safari. Thanks to greiner for the fix.
Confirmed fixed. Wouldn't it make more sense, however, to return the popover to its original state after the user has either add an element or cancel, from the modal popup? It's still in the "After closing this popup..." page. This one is not Safari-specific.
snoack wrote: I can't reproduce that. If it still happens with my latest build, I need to know: Which Safari version are you using? Do you have added/removed the ABP button on the toolbar since you have started Safari? If yes, does it also happens when the ABP button is in the toolbar all the time since you started Safari? Is the number of ads blocked shown in the popover the same as in the badge on the icon?
Safari 7.0.1, the button is always on the toolbar, and yes the badge and the number in the popover match. I've figured it out a little bit. If you click on a link, it works, but if you go to an address via url bar, it just keeps adding up, and it's stuck even when the user returns to the Top Sites page.

About popover, here's another bug I found. When you open the popover in the Top Sites page, it shows a simpler page that only reports the total blocked number, since no actions can be performed there. However, if you summon it first and then go to whatever site it is, the content in the popover stays the simpler version. Clicking on links won't help, until you open another tab, summon a normal popover, and then go back to the malfunctioning tab.
snoack wrote: That should be fixed in my latest build.
Confirmed.
snoack

Post by snoack »

IoRobot wrote:adblock does not block advertising on http://www.totaljerkface.com/happy_wheels.php
It does with my latest build. If you register an account here in the forum, I can send you a PM with a link to the build. Or you could give me your email address.
illusionmist wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense, however, to return the popover to its original state after the user has either add an element or cancel, from the modal popup? It's still in the "After closing this popup..." page. This one is not Safari-specific.
Yep, that was another bug. It is also fixed now. I'm going to send you a new build.