Refreshing ads allowed or forbidden?

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
TomasRiker

Refreshing ads allowed or forbidden?

Post by TomasRiker »

Hello!

Is there a clear statement in the Acceptable Ads standard regarding Ad Refresh?
All I could find is the following statement (source):
What is not considered an acceptable ad?
[...]
Ads that visibly load new ads if the Primary Content does not change
This only says what is not acceptable.

In reverse, does it mean that:
  • It is allowed to refresh ads when the primary content has changed?
  • It is allowed to refresh ads while they're not visible?
I'm asking because I'm running a one-page website that has Acceptable Ads on it. Users interact with the same single page for more than 30 minutes before they leave. The page changes its content using Ajax. Right now I'm generating very little revenue due to the ads not refreshing when the content changes. I'd like to refresh the ads when the content changes, but I'm confused whether this is allowed or not.
Caro
ABP Account Manager

Re: Refreshing ads allowed or forbidden?

Post by Caro »

Hi Tomas,

Thanks a lot for your question. You’ve done good research there and actually spotted the exact part of the Acceptable Ads Standard that is relevant to your question.

Getting back to your reverse conclusions:
It is allowed to refresh ads when the primary content has changed?
The typical use case here is that the user clicks on any given link and goes to another website part (e.g. a different article on a publisher page). Naturally here the primary content changes and there it’s perfectly fine to serve new ads.
It is allowed to refresh ads while they're not visible?
There’s no issue with this. The underlying notion is that the visible motion of the element change would annoy the user.
Example: If let’s say there is an ad with content A that runs above the fold and the users navigate down (far enough to so that the entire ad disappears) and then go back up and the ad reloads content B while the users are on their way up (without the instance of the actual ad content change being visible to the user) that should be fine.

Hope this answer has already helped you.

In case this did not fully answer your question, would it be fine for you to share your website with us (info@acceptableads.com)? It’s much easier to advise when actually seeing how the website behaves.

Kind regards,
Caroline