Moral use of AdBlock

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
mickblock

Moral use of AdBlock

Post by mickblock »

Hey guys I have a question to discuss to: Do you think it's morally okay to block ads? I mean in some cases to take away some persons the money and maybe they are reliant on that.
olivia-33

Re: Moral use of AdBlock

Post by olivia-33 »

I think it depends... Usually, what actually makes them money is the conversion, not simply viewing the ad (so if you weren't going to click on any ads anyway, it doesn't really matter) but pretty sure on sites like youtube, it's not that so I actually turn it off when I want to support the website/creator.
aronw95

Post by aronw95 »

I think the question lies deeper into whether it is okay to track our activities to show targeted ads. Ad supported websites and services are not new, they have been there for a very long time. Of course, it is important for content creators to make money through webpage ads, but some of the sites have straight away decided not to let users visit the site at all, if they have ad blocker turned on. Popular websites like Wired, Eduhelphub, Forbes, won't simply open, if they detect adblocker. I personally believe that such methods are a bit aggressive and they should take other approaches to counter adblocking.
harrytanoe

Post by harrytanoe »

It's a deep question and it has no easy answer, though.

I think it is morally okay when we block abusive ads. And it is not when we block non abusive ads.

But, at the end of the day we are free to do what we like to do