Google search ads no longer meet "acceptable ads" criteria

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
brainsturgeon

Google search ads no longer meet "acceptable ads" criteria

Post by brainsturgeon »

From adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads:

"Advertising should be clearly marked as such with the word "advertising" or its equivalent, and it should be distinguishable from page content, for instance via a border and/or different a background color."

Using either chrome Version 29.0.1547.76 m or Firefox 24 (with adBlock) on October 4, 2013, it appears that Google search no longer uses a yellow background to separate advertisement results from search results. I suggest that it be removed from the allow list.

For example see https://www.google.ca/search?q=lab+notebook+software
Hero

Re: Google search ads no longer meet "acceptable ads" criteria

Post by Hero »

Thanks for keeping an eye out, brainsturgeon.

This is likely an issue with your screen contrast. In your example, Google is using hex color #fef4ea in the ad background. You can get more details on the color at http://www.color-hex.com/color/fef4ea.

The FTC closely monitor's adherence to guidance it provides search engines to distinguish paid advertisements. The FTC site is not active at the time of this writing due to the Gov't shutdown, but here is a cached version of the FTC guidance: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us.

I doubt they would venture against this guidance for implications that are much worse than being taken of the adblock white list.
brainsturgeon

Post by brainsturgeon »

You're right! Thanks for the quick reply.

Needless to say, I feel pretty silly now.
Temba

Post by Temba »

ANY ad host that tracks a users browse and search results, and ANY ad hosts that significantly reduces browser speed and performance when not blocked, does NOT fit the criteria of exceptable ads, unless, that criteria does not include privacy issues, ad tracking issues and browser speed and performance issues. and if this is the case, then you NEED to reconsider your criteria.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Temba wrote:ANY ad host that tracks a users browse and search results, and ANY ad hosts that significantly reduces browser speed and performance when not blocked, does NOT fit the criteria of exceptable ads, unless, that criteria does not include privacy issues, ad tracking issues and browser speed and performance issues. and if this is the case, then you NEED to reconsider your criteria.
The criteria indeed do not include privacy issues, and although browser speed and performance aren't directly mentioned (partially because some of it is client- or connection-dependent), ads that meet the criteria are significantly less likely to adversely affect browser performance than ads that don't: en/acceptable-ads#criteria
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Temp

Post by Temp »

Is there an option to remove the 'sponsored results' (aka ads) from Google search results that have started appearing in the last month despite having ABP installed?

(Ironically, it's probably in Google's interests to allow users to choose not have these ads displayed, as they will otherwise migrate to other search engines where the first results displayed are actual search results.)
Temp

Post by Temp »

Temp wrote:Is there an option to remove the 'sponsored results' (aka ads) from Google search results that have started appearing in the last month despite having ABP installed?
Update: fixed

I enabled the ABP toolbar, clicked 'report a problem' said 'ads are displayed' - it then said ABP is currently disabled would you like to re-enable it? Problem solved.

It clearly wasn't disabled in the Firefox add-on settings (I'm not daft).
joerns

Post by joerns »

This is likely an issue with your screen contrast. In your example, Google is using hex color #fef4ea in the ad background. You can get more details on the color at http://www.color-hex.com/color/fef4ea.
In my opinion, this color is too bright to distinguish the ads from the search results.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

To allow Google search ads to be hidden, disable the acceptable-ads whitelist: en/acceptable-ads#optout
Temp wrote:(Ironically, it's probably in Google's interests to allow users to choose not have these ads displayed, as they will otherwise migrate to other search engines where the first results displayed are actual search results.)
That sounds like a business strategy of losing money on every sale but making it up in volume; Google needs to show ads to remain viable (more than 99% of its revenue comes from ads), and as long as Google's results are the most relevant, users will tolerate them.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
skysam

Post by skysam »

Hero wrote: This is likely an issue with your screen contrast. In your example, Google is using hex color #fef4ea in the ad background. You can get more details on the color at http://www.color-hex.com/color/fef4ea.
Jesus who knew colour could be so complex!? Barely a difference at all it appears to me. Surely there should be a kind of sliding scale factor at play here?
skysam

Post by skysam »

lewisje wrote:To allow Google search ads to be hidden, disable the acceptable-ads whitelist: en/acceptable-ads#optout.
I think we will see more of these search ads across the board now that all this activity is happening on smartphones. Google facing problems with regular ad revenue decline (like Facebook and Yahoo), as they are beginning to be paid less and less per click. The amount of paid ads however still rose, meaning their quarterly results were a heluva lot more than Wall St. expected (see Quotenet here - http://www.quotenet.com/). I think there will be more pop up video ads, and preview ads like on youtube, as banner and columns are pushed out. Something to look forward to ...

But I don't understand how this works? I though Google paid to be on the white list and so remain unblocked ...?
Last edited by skysam on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mapx

Post by mapx »

read
en/acceptable-ads

you can disable that feature
jwood1952

Post by jwood1952 »

I find whenever I pull up a video, any video on FB it by-passes AdBlock, the videos are loaded with ads and constantly interrupt the videos.