Adblock, and others like it will ruin the internet for all.

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
merryflip

Re: Adblock, and others like it will ruin the internet for all.

Post by merryflip »

well, the situation can happen as you discussed?

Post by Guest »

I've read through this thread, and agree to some of the points made here, but not all.

If you'r ad revenue suddenly drops, but your visitor count increases; are that because the ads are irrelevant for the information you present, or because there is an adblocker in place?
Maybe a combination of both, but another part of the formula might be that what you think is quality content, is not good enough in the eye of the viewer.

I have for about 8 years in the past run an abandonware site, both with and without ads. Never made any money from the ads, and the recurring visitors stopped coming after the ads came up.
If you are unable to run a website with quality information, adfree, due to bandwith/hosting costs, then maybe you should put up a poll, asking the users of the site what they think of the content, and if it is worth it for them to make small donations if they like what they get? Or simply take the site down, let another site take it's place and live your life happily ever after?

Lets face it, it all depends on what information you publish and if the users are satisfied. Put up a small button asking the users to give you some voluntary amount of cash if they like your content.
YeahRight

Post by YeahRight »

You are obviously 3 or 4 generations raised on commercial TV therefore
"in-your-face" selling seems perfectly normal and acceptable.

But - wait for it - is isn't!

It's just a culture of abuse.
Just like Chile Abuse, the abused go on to abuse...
hotentot

Post by hotentot »

For one, I like Adblock. It gets rid of the annoying adverts that I love to hate! Sorry for you, but anyone that gets irritated by adverts, will not land up being the source of your income anyway. It does not make sense that if I am pissed off with ads, that I'm suddenly going to look at your adverts on the page and promote business in that direction. Generally, if the user does not want adverts, its because they are not interested in purchases either!
rubenchitito

Post by rubenchitito »

I got a HUGE malware thanks to those stupid ads. I'm sorry, I feel bad for people like you.. but your loss is less important to me than mine. That's just how It is. I rather you loss money in the ads than I loss money in having to fix my computer.

Post by Guest »

I started reading though the replies but quickly realized it was pointless.

The situation is what it is, yours to deal with as you will.

As will I.

I had my TV turned off because it was too damn much money to be exposed to so many crapertisements. I'll be damned if I do anything less than what's in my power to avoid them on the net.
Liam

Post by Liam »

I haven't clicked on an advertisement in 3 years and I got AdBlock 4 months ago. Since I was a kid I was always told not to click on advertisements, so I think to myself, why not save myself the 5 seconds of waiting for the skip ad button on youtube. I watch hundreds of videos a day and it's a waste of time when the 99% know what they are looking for and don't need an ad to tell them. I long for the day when Television gets rid of advertisements, not that it will ever happen.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Just a side note, it could cost me $100 to fix my computer if it gets enough malware on it. I would rather you lose $4.50 then me lose $100.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

I hope that free.fr changes its latest "built-in Adblock" offering to be user-configurable and off by default, or it will threaten the viability of the ad-supported Francophone Web that is largely free at the point of use: http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/01 ... re-update/
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Crits

Post by Crits »

Funny, I was just talking about it in the EasyList Forums:
Crits wrote:Interesting...
English article: http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/01 ... re-update/
Best French articles can be found on Clubic, LesNumériques.com or PCImpact.

--------
Long story short:
Free is a French ISP with more than 5 millions of users, also known as "le trublion d'Internet" ("the Internet troublemaker") because of its aggressive pricing strategies that every other French ISPs have been forced to follow over the years.

An update of the Free router firmware of today happens to enable ad-blocking by default for all its users, through DNS filtering - it seems that Free is using its own filter list. As always, critics are being raised about this feature (see #AdGate and #FreeAdGate on Twitter), also because there isn't any support for the user to manually whitelist websites.

It's apparently also a way to put some pressure on Google, in order to solve their issues concerning the bandwith restraint from YouTube on Free's network.

--------
Any attempt to shake things up cannot but be applauded, especially if it belongs to the ad-blocking field, but it seems to me that this decision has been taken point blank, this being released live even if it's still labeled as a beta and lacks a lot of features. Enabling it by default doesn't quite help the users to behave and think in a responsible way about advertising (same goes for tracking when Microsoft enabled DNT by default in IE).
What's more, Free users seem to be mainly playing the role of pawns here as this ad-blocking feature eventually boils down to the conflict between Google and Free. Nothing says that a future update may not change that, by making this feature not enabled by default for new users.

--------
Any thoughts about this?

On a side note: funnily enough, Xaviel Niel, the founder, CEO and iconic character of Free, recently investing in an ad-serving company (AdYouLike) via its venture capital firm, Kima Ventures :?
Author of Liste FR, an ad-blocking subscription for French websites
justsomebody

Post by justsomebody »

Well I don't mind a few ads but what I really hate is when I'm surfing, the stupid adblockplus page opens to thank me for installing it.
Lain_13

Post by Lain_13 »

justsomebody
Is it does so over and over again? You probably have to report a bug in the appropriate section of this forum. This page is not supposed to work like this. It have to appear only once after first installation to say thank you and inform you about some controversial features like acceptable ads and check for typos. But only once and never again.
Nuclearbroods

Post by Nuclearbroods »

As a normal Internet surfer who uses Adblock plus to remove everything the answer for you to get me to stop using it is simply show ads that are relevant to my interests. 99% of ads on the internet is pure garbage in content, I couldn't care less about them so I block them. Why should I waste my time viewing/clicking ads that have no relevance to my interests or life? Yes, this can be misconstrued as being selfish but that is the nature of the business world/Capitalism in general. Adapt or fail.
watsonclarke

Adblock, and others like it will ruin the internet for all.

Post by watsonclarke »

Ok first off, don't get me wrong, I'm an Adblock user myself and I completely swear by it. I don't aim to make Adblock the villain here; however it is something of a double edged sword. I myself am a hobbyist web developer and an avid user of the internet. For me, the internet is like my home... to me, it's more than the mere tool that most people see it as
JoeyP

Post by JoeyP »

Advertisements would be tolerable to me if they:
- provided information in a tasteful and unobtrusive way
- knew exactly what I actually am looking to purchase, and when
- did not suggest products or services I am not interested in

As it is now, the assumption appears to be that when I visit a site, I am voluntarily opening myself up to suggestions on what to buy.

For us, first, a need has to exist. I am not going to buy a TV just because it is on sale somewhere. So we identify a need and then begin the next step, which is research. This is conducted online and in person without the influence of advertisements which simply say, "Buy me!" Then comes the budgeting phase, where we allocate money toward the approximate cost of the item or service. Only after the selection and budgeting do we actually purchase. Where we purchase is dependent upon independent research we conduct.

Since I will ignore 100% of all all advertisements anyway, why not enjoy my online experience by blocking them from ever appearing in the first place?