Cannot add Adblock plus features to IE 11 on Windows 7

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Internet Explorer
TechLovin'Raven

Cannot add Adblock plus features to IE 11 on Windows 7

Post by TechLovin'Raven »

I want to add Adblock Plus features to IE 11 but every time I try it says:
The webpage cannot be displayed
Most likely cause:
•Some content or files on this webpage require a program that you don't have installed.

What you can try:

Search online for a program you can use to view this web content.

Retype the address.

Go back to the previous page. All I want is to disable Tracking, Malware Domains, and Social Media Buttons and I just installed this OS and updated the software. Any advice to help?
mapx

Re: Cannot add Adblock plus features to IE 11 on Windows 7

Post by mapx »

Why still using IE ? Give it up and use chrome / FF / opera / other
TechLovin'Raven

I know everybody rags on IE, but I don't feel like installing more software to take up space. IE works good for me, why should I have something else when one thing works good already? If I cannot get my issue resolved and/or more issues occur I will use Mozilla Firefox. Mozilla was okay but it was slowing down no matter what I did to improve the performance; I just heard that they improved it though with memory tricks. Can you or someone tell me why I can't install more features to ABP for IE 11?
mapx

Post by mapx »

The last FF is fast as chrome, it's ok.

Unfortunately IE is full of unfixed bugs and more important: does not offer a good extension system => building a normal extension needs a lot of work and use undocumented tricks. For this reason ABP for IE has only some basic features (and not all the settings like in chrome or firefox)
TechLovin'Raven

Alright then, I'll go install Firefox again and disable IE. But one more thing, my roommate's PC has windows 10 and she's using edge with ABP installed. When she opens edge it always brings up an html page saying ABP has been installed. It seems that an issue caused all filters to be removed and we are unable to restore a backup. Therefore we had to reset your filters and Acceptable ads settings. Please check your filter lists and Acceptable ads settings in the adblock plus options. I reinstalled the features and it still transpires. Even when the options weren't modified, I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and that done nothing. This never happened before, so I disabled it so I can find a way to fix it and stop the annoyance. Is there a way to fix it? Or am I going to have to install firefox for her? She really wants it fixed and not have to switch to something else.
mapx

Post by mapx »

Well, still not working very well in edge (due to microsoft extension system)

You should use FF / chrome.

You could also try uBo (ublock origin for edge)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/ubloc ... blggh444l4
TechLovin'Raven

I switched back to Firefox to have ABP and disabled IE; I will admit I love FF, and IE 11 is great too but I really love ABP and if it means I have to use a different browser to use it so be it. As for my roommate, the other extension you said to try works pretty good for edge and she has no issues! So everything is great for both of us. I thank you very much for your help and facts. You have a good day/night! :D