Element Hider in Chrome: sometimes works, sometimes not

Discussion related to extensions like Extension Auto-Installer or Google Search link fix.
WolfShade

Element Hider in Chrome: sometimes works, sometimes not

Post by WolfShade »

Hello,

I've installed the AB+ Element Hider on both FF and Chrome. I'm about to dump FF*, and am trying to get Chrome up to speed with filters, and such. Unfortunately, I copied and pasted all the filters from FF into Chrome, and most of them are working, but I've got a few that are just making me pull my hair out by the roots.

The most annoying one is the Facebook notifications count (red square with white numbers telling you how many messages of "so-n-so did this" there are for you to look at.) It's in a span, has an id of "notificationsCountWrapper", and a class of "jewelCount"; I've tried every possible combination of filter I can think of, and it just ain't going away. (I'd like to keep the notification counts for friend requests and messages).

There are other ones, but I digress. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

^_^

* FireFox has now become just as bloated as IE ever was, and the fact that they've released 5 "full" versions in six months tells me that they have jumped the shark.
Hubird

Re: Element Hider in Chrome: sometimes works, sometimes not

Post by Hubird »

I don't think I have ever heard of IE being described as "bloated" before :? But if version numbers are what constitutes bloat then I'm sorry to inform you but Chrome is also "bloated" (more so than IE or Firefox with about 18 or so versions in about 3 years but I digress).

I was not aware that there was an Element Hiding Helper for Chrome but your best course of action might be to create the rules in Firefox and copy them over to Chrome (like it or not ABP for Chrome is not yet up to the same standard as it's Firefox counterpart).
WolfShade

Post by WolfShade »

Version numbers don't constitute "bloated"; constantly using over 30% CPU (with few plugins) and hogging memory starting at 155000k and increasing from there constitutes "bloated". Giving a message "FireFox is already running" when I open it a few minutes after closing it constitutes "bloated". FF is now only slightly faster than IE.

I've already copied and pasted the filters from FF to Chrome, to no avail (I did that before trying to manually enter a filter for the described annoyance.) So I guess that I have no choice but to wait for the Chrome version to catch up with the FF version.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

"Adblock+ Element Hiding Helper" for Chrome has no relationship to us and is not recommended, because Adblock Plus for Google Chrome is already able to create and use element-hiding rules.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
WolfShade

Post by WolfShade »

Removing ABP Element Hiding Helper for Chrome, now. I had no idea. Thank you for the heads-up, lewisje.
WolfShade

Post by WolfShade »

Thankfully, by moving the filters into the AB+ (didn't know that was there until lewisje mentioned it) the original issue is now no longer an issue. The pretender AB+ extension has been removed from Chrome.

Thank you, again, lewisje.

^_^
creamtown

Post by creamtown »

It happens to me as well. I had to restart the Chrome everytime this thing occurs. But it rarely works. Now switching to Firefox.