AdBlock for web hosts

Discussion related to extensions like Extension Auto-Installer or Google Search link fix.
Randem

AdBlock for web hosts

Post by Randem »

Is there an AdBlockPlus/edge for web host so that the ad can be stripped out before it gets to the user. Someone I know has a website that serves ads but some of the ads really hurt their site. It would be nice if the people who need to use the ads programs that some offer but could limit the type of ads showing on their site even if the supplier of the ads will not. It would be nice so they can generate funds without hurting them selves in the process.
lewisje

Re: AdBlockEdge for web hosts

Post by lewisje »

It's a browser/client-side technology only. If you have any control over the ads, what you need to do is report the malicious advertisers to your ad broker (e.g., DoubleClick), or blacklist the malicious advertisers if you handle all of the ads directly (either way, ask your users to report malicious ads); if not (like a free webhost, e.g. Wikia), it's usually a TOS violation for the user of the webspace to try to hide or strip out the ads (still, ask your users to report malicious ads to the owner of the platform).

Also, Adblock Edge is a shitty excuse for an extension, pandering to the ad-blocking absolutists who whine about turning off a setting, without making any significant effort toward advancing ad-blocking technology.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Randem

Post by Randem »

A YES or No would have sufficed... Really did not need all the unhelpful banter...
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Randem wrote:A YES or No would have sufficed... Really did not need all the unhelpful banter...
That "unhelpful banter" was an answer to the inevitable "Why?" that would have resulted if I had merely said "yes" or "no" (also I'm not a dev or even a mod so I don't have that kind of authority).
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Randem

Post by Randem »

lewisje wrote:
Randem wrote:A YES or No would have sufficed... Really did not need all the unhelpful banter...
That "unhelpful banter" was an answer to the inevitable "Why?" that would have resulted if I had merely said "yes" or "no" (also I'm not a dev or even a mod so I don't have that kind of authority).
Only if one assumes that all who ask questions here are unintelligent and also need profanity in a explanation...
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Oh, you're referring to that jab against Adblock Edge I put in after describing what website owners should do, based on the nature of their ownership; yeah, it's stupid and so are the people who use it. It's ABP with one removed default subscription, enough branding changes to make Eyeo's lawyers happy, and a development lag, with no benefits that a user of ABP can't easily get.

BTW, it's not "all who ask questions here," just ABE boosters like you.