Disable clipboard manipulations - need a white list option

Discussion related to extensions like Extension Auto-Installer or Google Search link fix.
ramicohen

Disable clipboard manipulations - need a white list option

Post by ramicohen »

Hi

The add-on "Disable clipboard manipulations" is very useful but sometimes it is important to disable it on certain websites. For example, Google Docs is one place where copy/paste operations are part of the normal workflow. It would be nice to have some sort of a white list feature, hopefully in a similar fashion to AdBlock plus which is very convenient to use (disable on page, disable on website).

Another option is having a subscription list, again like adblock plus, for known websites that need copy/paste.

Thank you

Rami
vinny86

Re: Disable clipboard manipulations - need a white list option

Post by vinny86 »

Just out of curiosity :D
I don't use Google Docs, but is there a situation where the website automatically inserts text apart from which the user has selected ?
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

I am going to remove that extension soon given that there is a dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled preference in Firefox 13 now. It was a proof of concept that isn't required any more.
trlkly

Post by trlkly »

Yes, it is, if we want to be able to have a whitelist, which, unfortunately, we seem to need. I've encountered problems with this on many WYSIWYG editors. It affects the ability to copy and paste from them at all, as well as prevents use of Ctrl-Z to fix deletions of text.

Furthermore, Adblock Plus filters are failing on the job of handling these without the need for such an extension. This practice started in 2010, and yet many websites that still use this are still unblocked, despite the decision back with Tynt.com to block this sort of thing. So my assumption is that simply blocking scripts is not working anymore.

We need the ability to block this intrusion without also blocking all WSIWYG editors from functioning correctly. Please do not delete this, but rather build a much better extension.