Chrome ABP stops video from playing

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the corresponding product forum.
drego

Chrome ABP stops video from playing

Post by drego »

Several weeks ago, a problem started occurring with ADB Chrome extension under Windows 7. At the site testtube.com, video would seem to start up like normal: I could hear the audio, the scrubber would advance, but the video would go black. When I disable the extension, the problem goes away; reenable ADB and the problem reappears. Testtube.com is the only site where I've experienced this problem; all other sites with video work fine.
Here's an link that demonstrates the problem: http://testtube.com/dnews/why-short-men-live-longer/
mapx

Re: Chrome ABP stops video from playing

Post by mapx »

I see no issue using only easylist
What filter lists are you using ?
Chrome version ?
ABP version ?
drego

Post by drego »

Current version of Chrome: 35.0.1916.114
Version of ABP: 1.8.1
mapx

Post by mapx »

filter lists ? ==> click ABP icon, options, see "filter lists" tab, see which are enabled
drego

Post by drego »

Sorry, forgot to list this last reply. Filter list is only "Easy List" enabled; "Adblock Warning Removal List" is present but not enabled. I've never futzed with these settings.
mapx

Post by mapx »

And what other extensions are you using ? ==> try disabling all other extensions (keep only ABP) and re-test
Your security software (especiaally antivirus) does have some web shield enabled module ?
drego

Post by drego »

Okay. I did some additional testing. I went in and disabled ALL my chrome extensions except for ABP. While I was at it, I went in to chrome://plugins and disabled all plugins except for Native Client. (Don't know what that is, but it sounds important!).

I am running Kaspersky Internet Security 14.0.0.4651, but I long ago disabled the extensions it loaded during its install; just to be safe, I disabled Kaspersky while I was testing the ABP problem.

With the above all in place, the problem still occurs, that is the video starts from the example link I provided (http://testtube.com/dnews/why-short-men-live-longer), with audio playing properly but no video. I can tell that ABP is active as it does remove the 15-second lead-in ad video, as the audio goes straight to the podcast video clip.

I also enabled the "Allow in cognito" mode Chrome option for the ABP extension, and tried the experiment in Chrome's cognito mode. Same result.

And again, I want to point out the ABP used to work on the testtube.com site: it just stopped working several weeks ago. It took me a while to even identify that it was ABP that was the problem.

Don't know if this tells you anything, but when I use the AdBlock extension (version 2.6.34) instead of ABP, it works properly. Don't know if AdBlock is affiliated with you guys from ABP.
mapx

Post by mapx »

no, it's other extension

Did you verify your custom filters ? try removing all of them and re-test (click ABP icon, options, "add your own filters" tab)
drego

Post by drego »

No custom filters.

I verified that this problem happens on two different PCs of mine running Windows 7, configured similarly. I run Chrome with synchronization fully enabled across machines. I then checked my Windows 8.1 laptop which is also configured similarly. (I always run Chrome in desktop mode in Windows 8.1.) Under Windows 8.1, the video does play correctly with ABP enabled, but the lead-in ad video also plays.
mapx

Post by mapx »

well, I can reproduce the bug in chrome 35
but not in chrome 37 (chrome dev version) ==> the video is working well

I can also reproduce the issue in firefox

I opened a ticket on the bug tracker (pointing also to this topic)
https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/548

feel free to add your comments there

in firefox if disable the easylist filter:

Code: Select all

@@||fwmrm.net/ad/g/1?prof=$script,domain=testtube.com
the video is ok
mapx

Post by mapx »

I was wrong, in my test I was using a vpn / tunnel which was blocking some web requests ==> the effect was the video didn't appear.
So, could be also for you the same problem (the modality you connect to internet, if some vpn / tunnel/ proxy in the middle)
drego

Post by drego »

Interesting. No, I have a generic connection to the Internet (Comcast as ISP). No VPN, no proxy.

BTW, I do have Firefox installed, just never use it. I installed the ABP extension for Firefox (29.0.1.) and it exhibits the same behavior as in Chrome.
mapx

Post by mapx »

in firefox try disable this filter:

Code: Select all

@@||fwmrm.net/ad/g/1?prof=$script,domain=testtube.com
see what happens
drego

Post by drego »

You have to walk me through what to do here; I don't know what this means or how to do it.
mapx

Post by mapx »

in firefox
go to that page
click ABP icon, open blockable items list
in the opened list find the filter (row) I indicated above
right click the row ==> disable the filter
reload the page, see if works