New user here, having trouble understanding the help resource...

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
Arctiic

New user here, having trouble understanding the help resource...

Post by Arctiic »

Hello, everyone! I'm a new user of ABP, and I'm currently reading through the help resource regarding filters (here).

As a new user, I'm a bit hesitant to just barge my way into the community and suddenly start firing off criticisms straight from the get-go. Please, I hope you'll believe me when I say that I don't have a habit of doing that! Be that as it may, I still can't help what I can't help: I'm having difficulty understanding some of the operators and their functions depsite the verbosity of the help resource. For example, I'm able to comprehend the function of "|" at the beginning or end of a filter URI string, but I'm not understanding what the "||" does exactly and how it differs from "|"? The structure of the page along with the contextual prose itself is somewhat ambiguous in general, as the section headers don't explicitly state the operators' names or characters, there's no table of all operators, and while there are demonstrative examples included for each, some of them don't actually directly define the function of the operator. If I had to give an example of a help page that is clear and easy to digest, I would suggest perhaps taking a look at this page, just as food for thought!

That said, I don't wish to sound unreasonably critical. I do realize that likely a lot of work went into creating the current pages and I appreciate that someone had gone out of their way to do so. However, given the existential intent of the page, I do hope you'll take my words as simply just user feedback, and do with it however you wish (in fact, frankly you have no obligation to do anything at all if you don't desire to). Thanks for creating this great tool and sharing it with us end users! Keep up the good work.

PS: if someone can just at least explain to me the use and difference of the "||" operator though, that would be great lol.