TitanTV - "Access to TitanTV while using an ad blocker is not permitted"

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
bigdogweigand

TitanTV - "Access to TitanTV while using an ad blocker is not permitted"

Post by bigdogweigand »

TitanTV appears to be upping their AdBlock notification game. Used to be you could just click and the message would go away. Now they block access all together with the scary message "Access to TitanTV while using an ad blocker is not permitted."

What is interesting is that FireFox doesn't get the notifications or get blocked. In fact, it never got the Adblock warning messages even.

Thoughts?
bigdogweigand

Re: TitanTV - "Access to TitanTV while using an ad blocker is not permitted"

Post by bigdogweigand »

So, I got back the "Continue without Disabling" options in Google Chrome v108 by doing the following:

Settings > Privacy & Security > Cookies & Other Site Data > See All Site Data And Permissions > Look for TitanTV and delete it.

My work laptop didn't have this issue and the only difference was its cookies were cleared on exit, so I knew a solution existed.

I would appreciated AdBlock Plus deep-sixing Admiral. TitanTV does not have a paid option and to enable ads on the site unleashes a sh*tload of ads, well beyond any reasonable expectation.
zeke7

Post by zeke7 »

Hear hear. I similarly had to disable AB+ on the TTV site around the time of this thread first got posted but kept my custom cookie enabled to overcome their horrid default color scheme... continued to work, with just wide grey rows where the ads go. Turns out that's because my Mbytes' browser guard was still keeping their horribly overdone ads at bay, but as of this week they're starting to target that extension as well -- same disable popup and ultimately totally blocking access... the battle goes on.

Frustrating because ads aside, they have the most detailed content and versatile navigation I can find -- my other options are Hauppage's brain-dead EPG guide or the TV's clunky remote-control listing. They really need to ditch that overdone ad-based model for something better to stay.
bigdogweigand

Post by bigdogweigand »

zeke7 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:54 am Hear hear. I similarly had to disable AB+ on the TTV site around the time of this thread first got posted but kept my custom cookie enabled to overcome their horrid default color scheme... continued to work, with just wide grey rows where the ads go. Turns out that's because my Mbytes' browser guard was still keeping their horribly overdone ads at bay, but as of this week they're starting to target that extension as well -- same disable popup and ultimately totally blocking access... the battle goes on.

Frustrating because ads aside, they have the most detailed content and versatile navigation I can find -- my other options are Hauppage's brain-dead EPG guide or the TV's clunky remote-control listing. They really need to ditch that overdone ad-based model for something better to stay.
I can normally make it around a week before I get the popup that I cannot ignore and I need to delete the TitanTV cookie. That buys me another week.

Again, if TitanTV had a paid option, I would consider it, but the ads (both quantity and quality) on the site are too much to let through.
borisf98

Post by borisf98 »

On the desktop, you can install the extension "Behind the Overlay". It will block popup, but you have to click it on each Titan TV page. However, if you just need to get the main page to see what is on, it's just one click. I highly recommend "Behind the Overlay" extension for everybody who deals with Admiral scripts.
zeke7

Post by zeke7 »

I'd gladly cough up a few bucks for what I noted is their stellar updated-content and sorting/navigation features... are you listening, Titan? Their original developers and current operators should be rewarded with better than what is probably trifling compared to whoever their overblown tasteless ad contractor is milking out of the enterprise under current operation. Course correction, maybe?

Will check the Behind Overlay feature too, thanks.
MikeFl1

Post by MikeFl1 »

I use TitanTV to easily program my DVR by clicking on the red dot in Program Details. If I use DuckDuckGo and uBlock Origin to open TitanTV, It works for now...
zeke7

Post by zeke7 »

Yes, the red-dot auto-DVR programming is one of many excellent features with the site, others being its wealth of sorting/filtering/searching tools.

The OP reported needing to reset cookies only once a week or so. In my experience since reading that, I think it depends on the number of page loads you do once the cookie's refreshed... keep the tab open and just reference its continually updated current listings, yes, a week or so. But open a lot of search or filter pages in the interim, that need to reset cookies need comes up a lot more quickly.
zeke7

Post by zeke7 »

Seems someone was listening to this thread (AB+ or TTV): things for me have returned to their previous benignly operating condition, with no more nags/lockouts for a couple of weeks. Thanks OP for calling out the issue.
bigdogweigand

Post by bigdogweigand »

zeke7 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:53 am Seems someone was listening to this thread (AB+ or TTV): things for me have returned to their previous benignly operating condition, with no more nags/lockouts for a couple of weeks. Thanks OP for calling out the issue.
I didn't want to jinx it, but it definitely seems/looks like somebody did something. Normally 11 to 13 elements would be blocked, now only 6. Not sure if it is Google Chrome or AdBlock or TitanTV, but I am happy to see it work again!
zeke7

Post by zeke7 »

You didn't jinx it: order to the titantv adblocking universe was indeed restored and remained so, until possibly today: I just started getting the same 'turn off adblocker or continue anyway' message that preceded that ad-swarm assault that initiated this old thread. Their last endeavor thankfully disappeared into darkest space. They're not back, are they?