Failed: download failure (easylist.txt)

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
OneGnome

Failed: download failure (easylist.txt)

Post by OneGnome »

Hi, I install Adblock Plus 3.6.3 on Google Chrome 49.0.2623.112 (this is the last official version on Windows XP SP3), but filters don't update. ((
If follow the link, for example https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easylist.txt through the Google Chrome v49, there will be an error: ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

Can you please tell me how to set up my browser correctly?
Perhaps I need to renew some kind of certificate?

Of course, everything is fine in the Firefox 52.9.0, there are no problems. But I need a second browser Google Chrome 49.0.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
greiner
ABP Developer

Re: Failed: download failure (easylist.txt)

Post by greiner »

The way to fix this would be to upgrade to a newer operating system, browser and Adblock Plus version.

In this particular case, it sounds like Windows XP is not able to establish secure HTTPS connections that Adblock Plus requires to download ad blocking rules from adblockplus.org.

You could try to work around it by downloading the rules from an insecure server, or by adding them manually, but there's still no guarantee that the rules will work, even if Adblock Plus is able to download them. So I hope you can understand that we cannot provide any support for such an outdated version anymore.
OneGnome

Post by OneGnome »

Greiner, thank you for your detailed answer and clarification!
Yes, I manually added the rules from another server (maybe not all) and, unfortunately, ads on YouTube are not blocked for me.

Please tell me which sheets contain the rules for blocking ads on YouTube?
I just need to block ads on YouTube, and there are no problems with the rest of the ads! :)

I am using the rules: Easylist.txt and EasyPrivacy.txt.
Perhaps for the russian version of YouTube.com, you need another RuAdList+EasyList.txt rule sheet in russian, taking into account language features?
But I didn't find it on third-party servers. ((
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

You'd have to check back with the filter list creators (e.g. EasyList) to find out more about certain filters and filter lists, because they're the ones determining what and how to block specific ads.

Newer Adblock Plus versions also include features that specifically target pages that try to circumvent the ad blocker. Therefore some popular websites may still be able to force ads onto you, if you're using an outdated ad blocker.