java-script pop up stop

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
woranike

java-script pop up stop

Post by woranike »

There are sites out there that use javascript to force a pop up window when you click a link. How can I stop the pop up windows. It's not a notification window it's an actual new browser window that opens up. AdBlock won't stop them, and when I try to use the "block element" feature it just makes the whole button disappear.
greiner
ABP Developer

Re: java-script pop up stop

Post by greiner »

I'd suggest reporting this to filter authors so that they can block that popup. You can do that using the "Report issue" button in the extension's icon popup. Since a screenshot won't be too helpful for this case, please make sure to describe what's happening by adding a comment to the issue report. Alternatively, cou an report it to their forum at https://forums.lanik.us/.

It's also worth mentioning that some browsers allow making the rules for the built-in popup blocker stricter. For example, in Firefox you can go to "about:config" and empty the value of the "dom.popup_allowed_events" setting which by default allows websites from opening popups via certain JavaScript events. However, be careful with making any such adjustments because they may break some other sites that rely on this and use it for legitimate purposes.