Not able to report ads that aren't blocked

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
Snekkerrn

Not able to report ads that aren't blocked

Post by Snekkerrn »

Hi,
Normally ABP works for me, but sometimes I encounter sites with a couple of ads that aren't blocked.

I've tried a couple of times to report ads that are not blocked. I use ABP in Norwegian so some of my translations from the messages I get might not be 100 % accurate.

I click the ABP-icon in my toolbar and click "Report a problem" and then I check "I still see ads".
I'm now here: chrome-extension://cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb/issue-reporter.html?364

I mark the ads, sometimes one add sometimes two and preceed by adding my mail adress and sending.

After processing my request for 10-15 seconds perhaps and I get this error: "413 Request Entity Too Large
nginx"

Above that it reads (my translation from Norwegian): "An attempt to send the report failed with the error code "413 Request Entity Too Large". Please verify that you have internet access and try again. If the problem persist you can ask for help in the Adblock Plus forum."

This has happened three times on different sites.

I have ABP version 3.8 and Chrome Versjon 80.0.3987.149 64-bit.

Thanks for all answers!
greiner
ABP Developer

Re: Not able to report ads that aren't blocked

Post by greiner »

Thanks for letting us know about this. It sounds to me like there's too much data in the issue report so mind sharing the URL that you tried reporting the problem for? That way I can try to reproduce the problem myself to see what might be causing this problem.

You can also check what data you're sending in "Details" step in the issue reporter by clicking on the "Click this link to review the report data before sending" link. That way you can determine the size of the report (e.g. by counting characters using Microsoft Word) and submit it to us through other means, while we're working on a fix.
Snekkerrn

Post by Snekkerrn »

Hi,
I'm sorry but I've been unable to find the page again. But know I've got this topic and know this forum so the next time I encounter a similiar problem I will be able to provide better info.

I checked the Details and I just marked a medium sized ad. My description was short and to the point. I cant' really understand how my report could be too big.

Hopefully I'll come across the same site and inform you.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

Thanks for keeping us updated on it.
Snekkerrn wrote:I checked the Details and I just marked a medium sized ad. My description was short and to the point. I cant' really understand how my report could be too big.
There's more data in the issue report than the screenshot and the comment such as the requests that the site is making and whether/which ad blocking filters are being used. Those may be the reason behind this problem as there may be websites out there that make thousands of requests in the background or that may retry blocked requests indefinitely.

If you're interested, you can either check the "Click this link to review the report data before sending" link at the end of the issue report steps to see what exactly is included in the issue report or you can read about all the data that's included in the issue reporter specification where we describe the data in more detail.
davidlevner

Post by davidlevner »

I am also getting the 413 error when trying to make a report. Here is the URL of the page I am trying to report: https://www.cnn.com/

This page changes often, so you will probably not see the same image that I see. When I scroll down, I see an ad from Quicken Loans
on the right ("Mortgage Rates Fall Again"). I have seen other ads on CNN, including some that obscured part of the page that I wanted
to read. I would attach a screenshot to this post, but I don't see how to do that on the Adblock forum.

Adblock is a great product that works 99.9% of the time. Thanks for listening.
gregatar

Post by gregatar »

I have the same issue. The page I saw this on was https://www.healthline.com/health/osteo ... ake-a-fist

I tried to report that the "block an element" functionality resulted in seeing just "about:blank" in the filter when I tried to block any of the ads.

It looks like the filter that would work is to look for a DIV with the "data-ad="true"" attribute set, but I can't seem to enter that correctly.

When I tried to submit that report, however, I got the "413 Request Entity Too Large" error.
marverlous

Post by marverlous »

In my opinion, advertising is also a way to make money for many people, they get reduced income if we use adblocks, if we have residual, we should skip haha.