Adblock (or chrome) won't save options modification

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
Npyu

Adblock (or chrome) won't save options modification

Post by Npyu »

Hi everyone !

I'm a very happy user of Adblock Plus for quite some time now and on quite a lot of computers.

But recently, on a new computer of mine, I installed adblock for chrome from official website and added right after a subcribtion to a list of filters but for some reason, when i restart chrome, any modification that I might have made to the adblock options simply won't save.
Including the filter list wich I really need.

I've uninstalled and re-installed Adblock, searched the computer for malwares, tryed quite a lot of modification in the chrome options (thinking it might come from chrome) but nothing will work.

So despite the fact I have Adblock, I still have adds everywhere cause my favourite filter list simply is not saved when I set it in the adblock options.
(the list still works fine if I set it each time I start chrome, but it's quite unconvenient)

Any ideas ?

And I looked this forum a bit before posting this but I didnt see that issue beeing delt with.
Sorry if I didnt looked hard enough.

Thank you !
mapx

Re: Adblock (or chrome) won't save options modification

Post by mapx »

try a new profile
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/142059?hl=en

If you have on that PC some automatic cleaning software (like ccleaner), try disabling it for chrome
see also if your antivirus has some chrome plugin and disable it ==> chrome://plugins

test first using only ABP then add your other extensions
Npyu

Post by Npyu »

Thank you for your help !

Unfortunately, creating a new profile didn't solve the issue.

Concerning Ccleaner, I indeed have it installed on that computer but I don't really see how I can "disabling it for chrome" as it is only a manual cleaning software isn't it ?
It has no automatic cleaning processus active to my knowledge. Am I wrong on that point ? If yes i'd need help to turn that auto-Ccleaner off.

I use Avira as an antivirus and it has no chrome plugin (nothing with "avira" in the name appears in the chrome://plugins page.

In addition, I have some more information about my issue that I didnt quite noticed before :

I was thinking that adblock was working fine if I just set the filter list on each time I started chrome. But I was wrong :
Even with the list on, quite a lot of adds still pop-up quite everywhere.

And when I tryed to follow the Step 2a of this tutorial (as twitch and youtube adds are part of the problem), I noticed that my adobe flash player has no PPAPI part but instead two NPAPI parts.
Therefore I can't complete the tutorial as disabling both obviously shuts down flash completely.

Also : I have no other manually installed chrome plug-in that could compete with adblock on this computer.
mapx

Post by mapx »

are you using chrome or some other chromium browser ? => only chrome browser has the pepperflash (ppapi flash version)

are you using that system as admin ?

for ccleaner ==> go into applications tab and uncheck the entries for chrome (chromium)

go to your filter lists and see if are downloading correctly (no failures)

could you test with avira disabled ?
Npyu

Post by Npyu »

Thank you I think we solved the problem !

Investigating your first question I went in the "about chrome" menu and compared the version with a chrome I had installed on a comp where adblock was working fine.
And I found out that I had an older version of chrome installed 18.x.x instead of the current 33.x.x !

I re-installed chrome from the official website and added the adblock plus plugin.

It now saves the options and it seems that all ads are properly blocked.

Thank you for your help !
Have a good day !
jacobhue

Post by jacobhue »

Sometimes you have a very quick flash of a chrome error or some pop up that appears and disappears in a couple of seconds. Most likely it is some kind of malware/adware/virus on your computer.

Try disabling your third party antivirus (if any), also if you have ccleaner try disabling the cleaning for chrome (and for firefox too, maybe). Also try to disable your firewall. See if this helps. www.omegle.fyi www.bazoocam.fyi www.chatrandom.one

If it doesn't help, maybe downloading chrome again will help (sometimes there are some bugs and glitches), or if it's urgent you could try reinstalling windows, but I would strongly suggest you to not do that because reinstalling windows is painful and you'll lose all your data. Other than that I don't know what other things you could try.