Save configuration?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Meeker Morgan

Save configuration?

Post by Meeker Morgan »

This question could apply to any PC browser, but Firefox is where I want to do this.

Is it possible, and if so how, to save my Adblock Plus set up to a file?
That is including filter lists, custom filters, and all other options.

Thank you.
tmstech

Re: Save configuration?

Post by tmstech »

Meeker Morgan wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:24 pm This question could apply to any PC browser, but Firefox is where I want to do this.

Is it possible, and if so how, to save my Adblock Plus set up to a file?
That is including filter lists, custom filters, and all other options.

Thank you.
It's a shame that there's no answer, given that Premium eventually reverts itself and the only answer for how to fix it is "Reinstall". I'm not all that unhappy about the wasted money since ABP is worth supporting, but I wish the ask had been in the form of "Please donate" instead of a somewhat dishonest "If you donate we'll give you a Premum version (which not only isn't all that Premium, but when it reverts itself you'll have to either give up on it or purge your configuration)."
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

Sounds like there are a few different concerns here, so I'll try to address them one by one.

How to save configuration
Please have a look at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93824

Premium reverts itself
This can happen for all sorts of reasons - some of which are expected (e.g. if the subscription expires, or payment gets refunded), and others are bugs. For the latter, any further information on the circumstances could be helpful, so that we can try reproducing the problem and fix it for everyone. I'd recommend reaching out to support@adblockplus.org for getting help for your specific Premium account.

Restoring Premium requires reinstallation
If you have an active Premium subscription, but lost access to Premium features in the extension, you should be able to reactivate it, without having to reinstall the extension, by following the instructions at https://help.adblockplus.org/hc/en-us/a ... um-upgrade . The same page mentioned in there can also be accessed by clicking on the "Upgrade" button inside the extension.
tmstech

Post by tmstech »

1) Thank you - on a quick scan of the text file, at least a couple of the settings that are important to me appear to be present in the text file. (I'd like to go through and more thoroughly check it, particularly before doing anything as drastic as a reinstall that wipes everything.)
For me personally, the critical question is: Is there any way to reapply all of the settings (custom filters, allowlisted websites, etc) without having to manually redo it line by line?

2) Not the case. Paid for a year four months ago, no refund.
"any further information on the circumstances"... That's a fair question to ask in the hope of figuring it out, but how are we supposed to know the "circumstances" if it's a bug that happens outside our control and we only notice when we happen to go to the ABP controls and see "Upgrade"? My only wild guess is that maybe whatever software checks for a payment token noticed that the CC# I used to pay will expire at the end of this month, and it decided that means the already-completed payment is no longer valid.

3) Tried, repeatedly. Each time: " Oops / There was a problem activating your extension. Reach out to us and let us help you finish setup. [emphasis added]"
That's the only message, with no indication of what type of error it is. I appreciate the desire to help... but under these circumstances, what sort of help* would you be able to offer when the actual issue is that after setup the software reverted itself, and we have little or no way to even guess at the cause?
* - other than to say "Reinstall"
greiner wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:27 pm Sounds like there are a few different concerns here, so I'll try to address them one by one.

How to save configuration
Please have a look at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93824

Premium reverts itself
This can happen for all sorts of reasons - some of which are expected (e.g. if the subscription expires, or payment gets refunded), and others are bugs. For the latter, any further information on the circumstances could be helpful, so that we can try reproducing the problem and fix it for everyone. I'd recommend reaching out to support@adblockplus.org for getting help for your specific Premium account.

Restoring Premium requires reinstallation
If you have an active Premium subscription, but lost access to Premium features in the extension, you should be able to reactivate it, without having to reinstall the extension, by following the instructions at https://help.adblockplus.org/hc/en-us/a ... um-upgrade . The same page mentioned in there can also be accessed by clicking on the "Upgrade" button inside the extension.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

tmstech wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:42 amFor me personally, the critical question is: Is there any way to reapply all of the settings (custom filters, allowlisted websites, etc) without having to manually redo it line by line?
You can copy and paste all filters at once into the input field, and it will add each of them to your custom filter list, as well as your list of allowlistd websites.

Note that other options (e.g. enabled filter lists, customization options) are stored separately.

Premium
We are urgently working on releasing a fix for a problem that was reported to us recently, which causes various features not to start up when the extension loads (see https://gitlab.com/adblockinc/ext/adblo ... ssues/1421). One of the affected areas is also Premium, and based on your description, this same problem may also be the reason why Premium seemed to have been deactivated and why you're not able to activate Premium.

If you're curious, you can have a look for the "Error: filter_not_found" extension error message (see instructions). If you see any other warnings or error messages there, those could be useful for identifying any other problems that might be there.