ABP not working in Firefox.

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Pete.i

ABP not working in Firefox.

Post by Pete.i »

I have made a topic about ABP not working in Firefox, which is my preferred browser, and that ABP does not install properly nor does the donate page come up. I cannot find that topic now and I cannot be bothered to look. This is highly inconvenient as I now have to put up with the idiot ads in Youtube, MSN, Facebook and others. ABP does work in Chrome. Unfortunately I hate Chrome but it will do for now until the ABP powers that be get their fingers out and fix ADP THEN I might donate. It also doesn't work in Edge but then not a lot does work in Edge.
Noburn

Re: ABP not working in Firefox.

Post by Noburn »

Reverting back to v 3.12 seems to have fixed it for me...
larri

Post by larri »

Same here, Adblock Plus v 3.13 doesn't work, I also returned to the version 3.12.
anon2874

Post by anon2874 »

Same here. Debian, FF 91.9.0 esr (64-bit). Also, filter lists are emptied after a restart. Reverting to 3.12 fixed the issue.
danriordan13

Post by danriordan13 »

Same experience here. ABP stopped working on all sites. Removed the v3.13 extension, installed v3.12 (https://blog.adblockplus.org/releases/a ... -and-opera), and now everything works again.
Firefox v100.0.1
Windows 11 Pro v10.0.22000
Koganesaga

Post by Koganesaga »

How do you do this? Everytime I uninstall the current version and try to install 3.12, it automatically updates to 3.13. I disabled automatic updating in my extensions section and clicked "reset all add-ons to update manually", but it still keeps making it the most recent version.
HRMBAssociates

Post by HRMBAssociates »

You can check if you have studies enabled # Go to '''[=] > Options > Privacy & Security'''. # Make sure '''Allow Firefox to install and run studies''' is check marked. I you had it disabled, you can disable studies again after your add-ons have been re-enabled.
Hope it will help you
Koganesaga

Post by Koganesaga »

Putting this here for the less tech savvy people such as myself. Turns out, if you click the link within ABP for 3.12, they're actually directing you to the most recent version. To get 3.12, you need to scroll down on the the page where you add the extention and click "see all versions". If you see a yellow box on the top of the screen warning you about old versions, you're in the right place. Then you'll want to click the "Download File" button to bottom right of the version number (it'll be on opposite sides of the screen) and it should install it. You also should make sure automatic updating is off, or it might update it for you and make it useless. Might be worth trying what the person above me said as well, not sure how much it helped, but every little bit is important in the quest to steal from youtube's revenue stream.
Xarovin

Post by Xarovin »

HRMBAssociates wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:24 pm You can check if you have studies enabled # Go to '''[=] > Options > Privacy & Security'''. # Make sure '''Allow Firefox to install and run studies''' is check marked. I you had it disabled, you can disable studies again after your add-ons have been re-enabled.
Hope it will help you
Thanks, this worked, the YT adverts were driving me insane.

Seriously though - I see they released 3.14 and completely ignored the fact it broke for 3.13.
I'm trying to avoid being a choosing beggar here, but this is the biggest app for blocking ads, and it's been broken for one of the biggest websites for a month. I don't want to switch to ublock, but at this rate it's not looking like ABP is going to be relevant for much longer.
Pete.i

Post by Pete.i »

Agree, I'm using 3.14 and it still does not work. It doesn't work in Linux either (xubuntu)In both cases I have tried to install the Firefox Extension of ABP but whilst it does put the icon in the install bar does not happen, This is both in Windows and Linux. There are reasons for using updated versions of software so I am reluctant to downgrade although that is a workaround. I often just get a cartoon of a cat (I think) that is zzzzzzzzz ing. I'm also unable to install Ablock, I am assuming that as the two programs are so similar they come from the same stable. I am using uBlock Origin now which does work but that has it's foibles. All the testing that I have done has been on clean installs of Windows 10 ver 21H2 and Linux ubuntu with no other programs installed other than Microsoft's spam and Firefox.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

Adblock Plus 3.13 changed the way how filters are stored in preparation for browsers moving to the new Manifest v3 format. Unfortunately, it turns out that Firefox clears that storage after every session for users who have the "Always use private browsing mode" setting enabled. That's expected to happen for website storage but not for extension storage. Therefore we've been working on reverting that change for Firefox for the next Adblock Plus update, as there doesn't appear to be any Firefox fix in sight.

Until that update is out, the extension can be made to work again (and filter settings should reappear) after disabling the “Always use private browsing mode” Firefox setting.
mc900fthanna

Post by mc900fthanna »

Devs,

ABP is completely useless 3.13 and beyond. I know your doing this for upgrade reasons down the road, but you can no longer add subscriptions to lists (they all go to blank pages now when you attempt to subscribe) is a deal breaker. Also - attempting to manually add host names for pages you wish to block does not work 3.13 and beyond either. In development world - this is called a critical bug. You stop where you are, either choose to go back to the last functional version code (3.12), or resolve whats causing the issue in the current code and proceed. Current code is useless for doing what this add-on is supposed to do, and still does in 3.12.
smajo

Post by smajo »

Not working on Firefox 103.0 (64-bit). But that is just one from many problems I see on last Firefox update. Please try to fix it. Thanks for your effort.