Adblock 2.6.4 crashing Firefox 31 in Linux

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
antipop

Adblock 2.6.4 crashing Firefox 31 in Linux

Post by antipop »

Adblock 2.6.4 runs for a bit and then causes Firefox to close suddenly without warning. Sometimes restarting Firefox works momentarily and then closes again, or else will not open at all. I had to disable Adblock to avert the problem, but I have no clue what the issue is. The OS is 64-bit Gentoo-hardened 3.15.7. I never had this problem before upgrading to the latest version of Adblock.

-------------------
I got here in a Big Yellow Taxi.
mapx

Re: Adblock 2.6.4 crashing Firefox 31 in Linux

Post by mapx »

Did you test keeping only ABP and disabling all other addons ?
What subscriptions are you using ? If more, try using only easylist to see if happens always (you could try also unchecking easylist and test again)

Can you get some error log after firefox closing ?
antipop

Post by antipop »

Further investigation of this problem now indicates that the issue may not be caused by Adblock in Firefox. It appears rather that this problem is related to a memory security setting from Grsecurity not playing nicely with some of Mozilla's security-related code. I am looking into that now and will report back after resolving it. Although the Adblock program may have irritated it somewhat, I feel fairly confident to say that it is not solely responsible. I am also going to resume using the add-on at this point, at least until I have a definitive answer as to its cause.
antipop

Post by antipop »

> "I am also going to resume using the add-on at this point,..."

Update:

I could not continue using Adblock for now as I had hoped to do because the program definitely exacerbates the problem and causes Firefox browser to close too frequently. Until I have worked out the grsecurity/mozilla conflict, I will have to leave Adblock undone. I am not a programmer, but I am inclined to say that whatever process is used by Adblock to "do its thing" is precisely the sort of event that causes this issue to come to a head. Perhaps a developer can chime in on it with more clarity. I do hope that I can circumvent it soon in order to resume using the addon because it does serve benefically otherwise.
mapx

Post by mapx »

you could file an issue on the bug tracker providing all your details, steps ..etc
https://issues.adblockplus.org